I loved Miss Utah Kara Arnold's platform as she competed in the Miss America pageant. Her devotion to inspiring students to consider careers in science, technology and math is commendable. Education is the key to a happy and productive life.
Arnold, however, may have wanted to rephrase a comment she made to the Deseret News ("Miss Utah puts medical school on hold, heads to Miss America to promote STEM about the platform," Jan. 1): "They can take these fields of study and apply them to anything, even if they're just going to be a stay-at-home mom."
My suggestion: They can take these fields of study and apply them to anything, especially if they choose to be a stay-at-home mom.
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Becoming mentally...
- Involve Utahns in national monument designations
- Letter: Welfare reform
- Legitimate, productive businesses are...
- Perceptions of Obama and his policies at home...
- My view: Utah's Constitution requires state...
- In our opinion: Federal contracting executive...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 80
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'? 54
- In our opinion: Paul Ryan's promising... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Capitalism and the common good:... 45
- Join the discussion: Is feminism... 39
- In our opinion: Timing is right for the... 39
- My view: A global warming solution to... 36