I loved Miss Utah Kara Arnold's platform as she competed in the Miss America pageant. Her devotion to inspiring students to consider careers in science, technology and math is commendable. Education is the key to a happy and productive life.
Arnold, however, may have wanted to rephrase a comment she made to the Deseret News ("Miss Utah puts medical school on hold, heads to Miss America to promote STEM about the platform," Jan. 1): "They can take these fields of study and apply them to anything, even if they're just going to be a stay-at-home mom."
My suggestion: They can take these fields of study and apply them to anything, especially if they choose to be a stay-at-home mom.
- In our opinion: Earmarks are becoming a...
- The winners and the losers
- Letter: Elected representatives
- Kathleen Parker: The GOP's toxic messaging
- In our opinion:: Nelson Mandela left legacy...
- If Iran truly wants only nuclear energy, it...
- Letter: Doctors unite
- Michael Gerson: Cancer has helped me see life...