Christian Petersen, Getty Images
LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) — Bandja Sy scored 16 points and pulled down seven rebounds Thursday night, helping New Mexico State snap Utah State's 13-game winning streak with a 64-51 victory.
Daniel Mullings and Tyrone Watson added 12 points apiece for NMSU (11-8, 5-2 Western Athletic), which shot 58 percent from the field in winning its fifth in a row. NMSU improved to 8-1 at home this season.
Preston Medlin had 14 points and Jarred Shaw 11 for Utah State (14-2, 5-1), which could have matched Kansas for the longest active winning streak in Division I with a victory.
NMSU went ahead for good early in the first half on a Kevin Aronis 3-pointer and led 23-18 at halftime. The lead grew to as many as 21 points in the second half before a late Utah State rally.
Utah State still leads 35-30 in the all-time series between two schools with "Aggies" as their mascots.
- The 1996 NBA Draft redone: How did the Jazz...
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into fall camp
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's future...
- 5 things Utah football needs for coming season
- Dick Harmon: Hanging with legacy players of...
- BYU football: Fred Warner, other...
- Brad Rock: Hill, Keeton, Booker not the best...
- Utahns in baseball: Former Ute Morin plays...
- Ute football team picked to finish 5th... 55
- Morning links: BYU, Utah and Utah State... 45
- 5 things to look for as BYU heads into... 35
- Whittingham says Hatfield is still... 29
- Morning links: BYU's Taysom Hill's... 23
- Mendenhall: BYU's 2015 schedule... 22
- Pac-12 media day: Utah Kyle Whittingham... 16
- Morning links: BYU letting fans... 16