Mike Terry, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a relatively mellow Thursday afternoon for Real Salt Lake brass, who drafted players in the first and second rounds of the 2013 MLS SuperDraft in Indianapolis.
RSL selected University of Maryland midfielder John Stertzer in the first round with the 12th pick in the draft, and traded up two spots in the second round to snag University of New Mexico forward Devon Sandoval.
"Really happy that we were able to get a domestic forward in Sandoval," said RSL general manager Garth Lagerwey. "And obviously Stertzer is a guy that we feel can contribute for a long time. Real solid player, potentially, and we're excited to add another young dynamic kid to our midfield."
For RSL fans, it's a welcome sight to see management making moves that adds depth at the forward position.
The Claret-and-Cobalt failed to find the back of the net in the final five games of the season, and desperately needed to find a solution to the problem.
"We got deeper at forward, and I think that is really important," said Lagerwey. "I also think the type of forward that Devon is, is really important. He's a true No. 9. You just don't find them very often among American domestic players."
Lagerwey also addressed the excitement of adding Stertzer into the already deep midfield position.
"I think it will be of a heck of a competition this year. You've got six or seven of those guys battling everyday to see who emerges and who gets the minutes."
NOTEBOOK: Javier Morales gave RSL fans a late Christmas present via Twitter, when the Argentine announced he would be returning to Utah.
"I couldn't be happier. Just sign my new contract with RSL. Thanks to the Club, Owner, coaches, teammates and sepcially (sic) to the FANS!" tweeted Morales.
Just a day earlier, RSL announced the return of forward Robbie Findley. Findley was a key cog in the 2009 season that yielded an MLS Cup title and catapulted the forward to international success.
"We're hopeful that we'll have potentially some other guys to announce here in the next couple weeks, and that should complete our forward core," hinted Lagerwey.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks about...
- Morning links: Steve Young quotes Joseph...
- Brad Rock: GameDay is quite the day in Utah
- BYU vs. East Carolina: How to attend, watch,...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Oct. 9
- BYU football: East Carolina in 6 numbers
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Utah and Utah State should...
- Morning links: 'Big 12' cartoon... 54
- Morning links: Utes in the playoff?;... 46
- Wright Words: BYU QB Taysom Hill talks... 41
- Utah Utes football: The California... 30
- Utes back in the college football... 27
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- BYU coaches continue helping players... 22
- Underrated East Carolina will test... 20