Mike Terry, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — It was a relatively mellow Thursday afternoon for Real Salt Lake brass, who drafted players in the first and second rounds of the 2013 MLS SuperDraft in Indianapolis.
RSL selected University of Maryland midfielder John Stertzer in the first round with the 12th pick in the draft, and traded up two spots in the second round to snag University of New Mexico forward Devon Sandoval.
"Really happy that we were able to get a domestic forward in Sandoval," said RSL general manager Garth Lagerwey. "And obviously Stertzer is a guy that we feel can contribute for a long time. Real solid player, potentially, and we're excited to add another young dynamic kid to our midfield."
For RSL fans, it's a welcome sight to see management making moves that adds depth at the forward position.
The Claret-and-Cobalt failed to find the back of the net in the final five games of the season, and desperately needed to find a solution to the problem.
"We got deeper at forward, and I think that is really important," said Lagerwey. "I also think the type of forward that Devon is, is really important. He's a true No. 9. You just don't find them very often among American domestic players."
Lagerwey also addressed the excitement of adding Stertzer into the already deep midfield position.
"I think it will be of a heck of a competition this year. You've got six or seven of those guys battling everyday to see who emerges and who gets the minutes."
NOTEBOOK: Javier Morales gave RSL fans a late Christmas present via Twitter, when the Argentine announced he would be returning to Utah.
"I couldn't be happier. Just sign my new contract with RSL. Thanks to the Club, Owner, coaches, teammates and sepcially (sic) to the FANS!" tweeted Morales.
Just a day earlier, RSL announced the return of forward Robbie Findley. Findley was a key cog in the 2009 season that yielded an MLS Cup title and catapulted the forward to international success.
"We're hopeful that we'll have potentially some other guys to announce here in the next couple weeks, and that should complete our forward core," hinted Lagerwey.
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- Utah State's Kevin Whimpey is an athlete,...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- High school basketball: Tuesday's roundup
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 160
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 94
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 48
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 47
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 38
- Utes on the verge of a winning Pac-12... 30