Our take: British regulators have fined Playboy $160,000 for failure to take the necessary precautions to protect minors from accessing adult content. In an article for Gigaom.com, Jeff John Roberts reports on the fine and also makes an eye-opening discovery: In a time when the U.K.'s obscenity laws seem to be getting tougher by focusing on protecting minors, the debate in the U.S. seems to be moving in a different direction.
British regulators fined Playboy nearly $160,000 after finding the publisher didnt do enough to prevent minors from visiting its website. In a statement issued on Wednesday, the agency Ofcom said Playboys failure to protect children ... was serious, repeated and reckless.In deciding to fine Playboy, Ofcom also concluded that requiring visitors click an "Enter I am over 18" button was not an effective age verification system.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 107
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 50
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- Letter: Breeding hate 44
- Letter: Policy disagreement 43
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 42