Our take: British regulators have fined Playboy $160,000 for failure to take the necessary precautions to protect minors from accessing adult content. In an article for Gigaom.com, Jeff John Roberts reports on the fine and also makes an eye-opening discovery: In a time when the U.K.'s obscenity laws seem to be getting tougher by focusing on protecting minors, the debate in the U.S. seems to be moving in a different direction.
British regulators fined Playboy nearly $160,000 after finding the publisher didnt do enough to prevent minors from visiting its website. In a statement issued on Wednesday, the agency Ofcom said Playboys failure to protect children ... was serious, repeated and reckless.In deciding to fine Playboy, Ofcom also concluded that requiring visitors click an "Enter I am over 18" button was not an effective age verification system.
- In our opinion: Disgusting algae bloom...
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake
- My view: Prison reform proponents have it...
- Arthur Cyr: Coup attempt underscores...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation
- Letter: Drones or privacy
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 27
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- My view: More whites should practice... 21
- My view: Algae blooms in Utah Lake 16
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 15
- Letter: Vote Gary Johnson 14