Islamic militants said they captured 41 foreign hostages at a natural gas complex in the Algerian desert. Some were killed in an Algerian military assault, though figures varied widely.
Here's a summary of the latest information on the hostages:
— ALGERIA: Hundreds of Algerians worked at the gas plant, but the Algerian media say most were released. The Norwegian energy company Statoil says three of its Algerian employees were hostages.
— NORWAY: Nine Norwegian employees of Statoil are hostages, the company says.
— UNITED STATES: Seven Americans were hostages, the militants said, but they claimed only two survived the Algerian strafing Thursday. The U.S. has confirmed that some of its citizens are hostages but gave no numbers.
— BRITAIN: "Several" British nationals are among the hostages, the U.K. government says. Algeria's state news agency says two Britons were killed in Thursday's assault.
— JAPAN: At least three of the hostages are Japanese, according to the Japanese media.
— PHILIPPINES: Algeria's state news agency said two Filipinos were among hostages killed in the military operation Thursday.
— MALAYSIA: Two Malaysians were held, the government says.
— IRELAND: A 36-year-old Irish man was among the hostages but is now safe and free, according to Ireland's government.
— FRANCE: President Francois Hollande says there are French hostages but gave no exact number.
— ROMANIA: Romania's Foreign Ministry says Romanians are among hostages.
- Wyoming ranked third in US in percentage of...
- Test anxiety: How cold feet are ruining your...
- Hometown pastor says community stands by...
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls his...
- 'A marvellous work and a wonder': A look back...
- Drownings along Rio Grande spike after...
- O'Malley: Presidency 'not some crown'...
- Hundreds rally against Indiana law, say it's...
- Student loan recipients on 'strike'... 83
- Rep. Trey Gowdy: Hillary Clinton wiped... 49
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 40
- Indiana lawmakers try to quiet... 37
- Senate's Harry Reid announces he won't... 34
- Hundreds rally against Indiana law, say... 26
- Delete, erase, shred: The enemies of... 15
- O'Malley: Presidency 'not some crown'... 13