Islamic militants said they captured 41 foreign hostages at a natural gas complex in the Algerian desert. Some were killed in an Algerian military assault, though figures varied widely.
Here's a summary of the latest information on the hostages:
— ALGERIA: Hundreds of Algerians worked at the gas plant, but the Algerian media say most were released. The Norwegian energy company Statoil says three of its Algerian employees were hostages.
— NORWAY: Nine Norwegian employees of Statoil are hostages, the company says.
— UNITED STATES: Seven Americans were hostages, the militants said, but they claimed only two survived the Algerian strafing Thursday. The U.S. has confirmed that some of its citizens are hostages but gave no numbers.
— BRITAIN: "Several" British nationals are among the hostages, the U.K. government says. Algeria's state news agency says two Britons were killed in Thursday's assault.
— JAPAN: At least three of the hostages are Japanese, according to the Japanese media.
— PHILIPPINES: Algeria's state news agency said two Filipinos were among hostages killed in the military operation Thursday.
— MALAYSIA: Two Malaysians were held, the government says.
— IRELAND: A 36-year-old Irish man was among the hostages but is now safe and free, according to Ireland's government.
— FRANCE: President Francois Hollande says there are French hostages but gave no exact number.
— ROMANIA: Romania's Foreign Ministry says Romanians are among hostages.
- Jeb Bush used 'shock and awe' campaign to...
- College Football: Utah moves back into top...
- 'No more baby parts': Reclusive suspect's...
- These touching Christmas ads will melt any...
- Obama: Climate pact an 'act of defiance'...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Thousands of Syrian refugee children left in...
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 68
- 'No more baby parts': Reclusive... 49
- Jeb Bush used 'shock and awe' campaign... 42
- Obama admin says states lack authority... 40
- Police: 3 killed, 9 wounded in attack... 35
- Obama: Climate pact an 'act of... 30
- Official says gunman made 'no more baby... 29
- Planned Parenthood under fire literally... 16