Our take: In the past, when people entered into a relationships where faith was divided, one partner would usually make a change whichever person had the stronger conviction would set the terms. But these days, couples are redrawing the lines.
Maria Peyer and Mike Bixby are one of those couples who just seem made for each other. They hold hands when they sit and talk. They're happy to spend the morning cooking brunch with their children in their home in southern Washington.
Bixby and Peyer have known each other since they were young, but got married only a few years ago.
"It just hadn't been the right time, until it was. God bless Facebook," says Peyer.
"She Facebooked me, and asked if I remembered her, and then it just went from there," Bixby says.
But there's one big issue where they do not see eye-to-eye. Peyer is Lutheran. Her father, grandfather and great-grandfather were all pastors. She's an assisting minister. Bixby is an atheist.
"I do not believe that there is any sort of a higher power. I've made several attempts to go back and have faith, and it just doesn't work," he says. "It's not an open question for me anymore."
"I would really like it if he could feel God's love the way I do. And it's one of those very few places where I feel like I can say, 'I hear you, I understand what you're saying, I love you and I think that there may be more to it,'" Peyer says.
Read more about Making marriage work when only one spouse believes in God on NPR.
- New collaboration helps track pioneer...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- 'Deseret News National Edition': Hobby Lobby,...
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the Exodus...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's influence...
- Seventh-day Adventist leader calls on family...
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- Defending the Faith: Remembering the... 34
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the... 21
- After government topples crosses in... 16
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 16
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 14
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Having trouble understanding the Bible?... 4