Our take: In the past, when people entered into a relationships where faith was divided, one partner would usually make a change whichever person had the stronger conviction would set the terms. But these days, couples are redrawing the lines.
Maria Peyer and Mike Bixby are one of those couples who just seem made for each other. They hold hands when they sit and talk. They're happy to spend the morning cooking brunch with their children in their home in southern Washington.
Bixby and Peyer have known each other since they were young, but got married only a few years ago.
"It just hadn't been the right time, until it was. God bless Facebook," says Peyer.
"She Facebooked me, and asked if I remembered her, and then it just went from there," Bixby says.
But there's one big issue where they do not see eye-to-eye. Peyer is Lutheran. Her father, grandfather and great-grandfather were all pastors. She's an assisting minister. Bixby is an atheist.
"I do not believe that there is any sort of a higher power. I've made several attempts to go back and have faith, and it just doesn't work," he says. "It's not an open question for me anymore."
"I would really like it if he could feel God's love the way I do. And it's one of those very few places where I feel like I can say, 'I hear you, I understand what you're saying, I love you and I think that there may be more to it,'" Peyer says.
Read more about Making marriage work when only one spouse believes in God on NPR.
- Church slaying families accept pursuit of...
- Text of Obama's speech at Hiroshima Peace...
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod? Statue...
- LDS missionary who returned home early shares...
- Brooklyn's Catholic bishop decries racism and...
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering...
- Playwright, film producer strive to teach...
- What's new: 'The Washington Hypothesis'
- LDS missionary who returned home early... 53
- Defending the Faith: Book of Mormon... 46
- Why the University of Miami plans to... 45
- Elizabeth Smart picks BYU rape response... 24
- Is the Angel Moroni a lightning rod?... 23
- Donald Trump moves to win over wavering... 17
- BYU's Ty Detmer discusses prayer,... 12
- First-edition Book of Mormon to be part... 12