President Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package, 23 executive actions
Address legal barriers in health laws that bar some states from making available information about people who are prohibited from having guns.
Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
Make sure that federal agencies share relevant information with the background check system.
Direct the attorney general to work with other agencies to review existing laws to make sure they can identify individuals who shouldn't have access to guns.
Direct the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other research agencies to conduct research into the causes and prevention of gun violence.
Clarify that no federal law prohibits doctors or other health care providers from contacting authorities when patients threaten to use violence.
Give local communities the opportunity to hire up to 1,000 school resource officers and counselors.
Require federal law enforcement to trace all recovered guns.
Propose regulations that will enable law enforcement to run complete background checks before returning firearms that have been seized.
Direct the Justice Department to analyze information on lost and stolen guns and make that information available to law enforcement.
Provide training for state and local law enforcement, first responders and school officials on how to handle active-shooter situations.
Make sure every school has a comprehensive emergency management plan.
Help ensure that young people get needed mental health treatment.
Ensure that health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.
Encourage development of new technology to make it easier for gun owners to safely use and store their guns.
Have the Consumer Product Safety Commission assess the need for new safety standards for gun locks and gun safes.
Launch a national campaign about responsible gun ownership.
Associated Press writers Erica Werner, Ken Thomas, Jim Kuhnhenn and Josh Lederman contributed to this report. Follow Julie Pace at http://twitter.com/jpaceDC. Associated Press writers Ken Thomas and Jim Kuhnhenn contributed to this report.
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Official: Air Algerie flight carrying 116...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza border
- Iraqis: Jihadis blow up Muslim shrine said to...
- Rep. Paul Ryan proposes streamlining 11...
- Dutch say plane's black box damaged but not...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 49
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 23
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 21
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 18
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14