President Obama unveils $500 million gun violence package, 23 executive actions
Address legal barriers in health laws that bar some states from making available information about people who are prohibited from having guns.
Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.
Make sure that federal agencies share relevant information with the background check system.
Direct the attorney general to work with other agencies to review existing laws to make sure they can identify individuals who shouldn't have access to guns.
Direct the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and other research agencies to conduct research into the causes and prevention of gun violence.
Clarify that no federal law prohibits doctors or other health care providers from contacting authorities when patients threaten to use violence.
Give local communities the opportunity to hire up to 1,000 school resource officers and counselors.
Require federal law enforcement to trace all recovered guns.
Propose regulations that will enable law enforcement to run complete background checks before returning firearms that have been seized.
Direct the Justice Department to analyze information on lost and stolen guns and make that information available to law enforcement.
Provide training for state and local law enforcement, first responders and school officials on how to handle active-shooter situations.
Make sure every school has a comprehensive emergency management plan.
Help ensure that young people get needed mental health treatment.
Ensure that health insurance plans cover mental health benefits.
Encourage development of new technology to make it easier for gun owners to safely use and store their guns.
Have the Consumer Product Safety Commission assess the need for new safety standards for gun locks and gun safes.
Launch a national campaign about responsible gun ownership.
Associated Press writers Erica Werner, Ken Thomas, Jim Kuhnhenn and Josh Lederman contributed to this report. Follow Julie Pace at http://twitter.com/jpaceDC. Associated Press writers Ken Thomas and Jim Kuhnhenn contributed to this report.
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in Germany...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say they’re...
- First trailer for 'Captain America: Civil...
- Officer charged with murder in teen's death;...
- Group raised suspicions before 5 were shot at...
- Chicago officer who shot teen amassed 18...
- Obama admin says states lack authority to...
- Washington university cancels classes over...
- Bigotry? Hatred? Christians say... 82
- Trump says he saw people celebrating... 38
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 30
- Donald Trump says he'd bring back... 26
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to... 23
- Elder Ballard visits refugee camps in... 20
- Obama pledges solidarity with France,... 19
- Officer charged with murder in teen's... 17