John Bazemore, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Athletes say the wackiest things when they're disinterested.
For instance, after Miami's loss to the Jazz on Monday, Heat guard Dwyane Wade was asked the level of concern over losing six of 10 games.
"It's always a concern when you lose ballgames," he said, "but with this team, it doesn't matter. If we win, we're supposed to win. If we lose, we shouldn't lose, so we have to figure it out."
Meanwhile, Rock On will spend the next two weeks trying to figuring out what Wade was talking about.
Then there was Jazz center Al Jefferson, who was asked about seeing a 21-point lead shrink to two in the fourth quarter: "The game was too close to be nervous."
Isn't that like saying the market crash was too steep to be worried?
ESPN announcer Brent Musberger got criticized last week for over-complimenting Katherine Webb, girlfriend of Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron, on-air.
But something good did come of it.
Webb's Twitter account saw an addition of 100,000 followers overnight. By early this week, she had added approximately 267,000 followers and had a deal in place to be a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model.
Rock On sources say the 73-year-old Musberger said he "always wondered who the Worldwide Webb was" and that he plans get "an e-mail thingy" as soon as possible.
BYU has been nominated as one of the country's best college hoops road trip destinations in an Enterprise Rent-A-Car promotion.
Finalists were chosen based on game atmosphere, history, pre-and post-game events, scenery and the town's attraction.
Clearly, someone clued Enterprise in on Friday Date Night at Cold Stone Creamery.
PAY TO PLAY
According to a published report, BYU and Utah were among the college football programs that made money last year.
The story also concluded that Utah's net profit was just $200,000 below that of the New York Yankees.
Sources say the Utes are fine with the comparison, except the part where they're now supposed to find the best players money can buy.
A headline in last Saturday's Deseret News heralded the hiring of first-time head coach Rob Chudzinksi thusly: "Chudzinski thrilled to get Browns' job."
You don't say.
The Nude Olympics are set to begin Sunday in Australia.
Sources say a big turnout is expected, though for some reason the number of participants in fencing competition is down.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU...
- High school football: 4A all-state teams
- High school football: 5A All-State teams
- NFL watch: How local players fared in week 14...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz forward Richard Jefferson...
- Mountain View hires former Timpview head...
- BYU football: Cougars to play... 104
- Crystal ball commentary: National... 99
- Utah football: Utah coach Kyle... 81
- Utah basketball: Utes rally to defeat... 68
- Florida St-Auburn title game to usher... 51
- Best and worst of the BYU, Utah and USU... 48
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes bounce... 43
- Former BYU star Jimmer Fredette likes... 34