John Bazemore, ASSOCIATED PRESS
Athletes say the wackiest things when they're disinterested.
For instance, after Miami's loss to the Jazz on Monday, Heat guard Dwyane Wade was asked the level of concern over losing six of 10 games.
"It's always a concern when you lose ballgames," he said, "but with this team, it doesn't matter. If we win, we're supposed to win. If we lose, we shouldn't lose, so we have to figure it out."
Meanwhile, Rock On will spend the next two weeks trying to figuring out what Wade was talking about.
Then there was Jazz center Al Jefferson, who was asked about seeing a 21-point lead shrink to two in the fourth quarter: "The game was too close to be nervous."
Isn't that like saying the market crash was too steep to be worried?
ESPN announcer Brent Musberger got criticized last week for over-complimenting Katherine Webb, girlfriend of Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron, on-air.
But something good did come of it.
Webb's Twitter account saw an addition of 100,000 followers overnight. By early this week, she had added approximately 267,000 followers and had a deal in place to be a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model.
Rock On sources say the 73-year-old Musberger said he "always wondered who the Worldwide Webb was" and that he plans get "an e-mail thingy" as soon as possible.
BYU has been nominated as one of the country's best college hoops road trip destinations in an Enterprise Rent-A-Car promotion.
Finalists were chosen based on game atmosphere, history, pre-and post-game events, scenery and the town's attraction.
Clearly, someone clued Enterprise in on Friday Date Night at Cold Stone Creamery.
PAY TO PLAY
According to a published report, BYU and Utah were among the college football programs that made money last year.
The story also concluded that Utah's net profit was just $200,000 below that of the New York Yankees.
Sources say the Utes are fine with the comparison, except the part where they're now supposed to find the best players money can buy.
A headline in last Saturday's Deseret News heralded the hiring of first-time head coach Rob Chudzinksi thusly: "Chudzinski thrilled to get Browns' job."
You don't say.
The Nude Olympics are set to begin Sunday in Australia.
Sources say a big turnout is expected, though for some reason the number of participants in fencing competition is down.
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Kyle Collinsworth already...
- BYU's NCAA tournament fate: 'Anything could...
- BYU football: Cougars generally happy with...
- Snakebit BYU must deal once again with major...
- Linebacker Kyle Van Noy says he discovered...
- Weber State basketball: Wildcats top UND,...
- Brad Rock: Weber State's NCAA bid makes Rahe...
- High school baseball: 5A team-by-team region...
- Minute-by-minute: How Utah and USU lost... 113
- Utah basketball: Utes outlast... 89
- Utah basketball: Utes get 'punched in... 73
- BYU basketball: Gonzaga builds early... 72
- San Francisco coach apologizes for... 58
- BYU basketball: Kyle Collinsworth has... 44
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes advance... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU exits Las Vegas in a... 26