Jeffrey D Allred, Jeffrey D. Allred
SAN DIEGO — Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy has agreed in principle to become head coach of the division rival San Diego Chargers, two people with knowledge of the situation said Tuesday.
The people spoke with The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because McCoy's hiring hasn't been announced.
The 40-year-old McCoy replaces Norv Turner, who was fired along with general manager A.J. Smith after the Chargers finished 7-9 and missed the playoffs for the third straight season.
McCoy's hiring comes three days after the top-seeded Broncos were eliminated from the playoffs in a home loss to the Baltimore Ravens.
The coaching search was led by Tom Telesco, who was hired as Chargers GM last week. Telesco also is 40.
The Broncos have won consecutive AFC West titles. McCoy tutored quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow in 2011, and Peyton Manning in 2012.
Denver swept the Chargers in 2012, including an epic 35-24 victory at San Diego on Oct. 15 when Manning calmly led them back from a 24-0 halftime deficit.
With the Chargers, McCoy will work with Philip Rivers, who struggled this season, in large part because of a shaky offensive line. Rivers was sacked 49 times and committed 22 turnovers, giving him 47 turnovers in two seasons.
McCoy played quarterback at Long Beach State and Utah before moving on to the NFL Europe and the CFL. He began his pro coaching career with Carolina in 1999 before moving to the Broncos in 2009.
AP Sports Writers Bernie Wilson, John Wawrow in Buffalo and Arnie Stapleton in Denver contributed to this report.
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell...
- BYU-Utah State: How to watch, listen to or...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Schedule only gets tougher for BYU basketball...
- BYU's bowl destination — Las Vegas or...
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best Pac-12...
- Cougars relish opportunity to play in-state...
- Utah Jazz: Hayward finally has breakout game...
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 59
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 52
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 42
- BYU holds on for tougher-than-expected... 34
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad... 31
- Utah State denies David Collette's... 30
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's... 29
- Disappointed Utes determined to bounce... 24