Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
MATT FINDLAY, Alta, wrestling: In last weeks wrestling showcase at the All-Star Classic, this junior came up huge in defeating Cedars Dusty Hone, 7-3.
The two-time state champion was very much looking forward to his match with Hone.
He was my only loss last year. I went 49-1 and then beat him later in the season at nationals, said Findlay. We both have a lot of supporters in our background and theres been some talk going and it felt good to put him down in what I felt was in a convincing manner.
Findlay maintains a 3.8 GPA, and finished with a 43-3 record as a freshman and a 49-1 record as a sophomore. After the All-Star match, his record this year now stands at 17-1.
CAITLYN LARSEN, Viewmont, girls basketball: When the fourth-ranked Viewmont girls basketball team needs something anything the players turn to junior Caitlyn Larsen.
Last year she had to take on the role of scorer and she wasnt quite ready to do that, said coach Clint Straatman. She was starting to become a leader, but this year she has completely taken over that leadership role. Shes been doing everything for us.
The honor student averages nearly 19 points per game for the team, which is undefeated in region play. In fact, Larsen is so versatile Straatman has a hard time singling out her greatest strength, at least athletically.
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24