High school players of the week: Matt Findlay and Caitlyn Larsen
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
MATT FINDLAY, Alta, wrestling: In last weeks wrestling showcase at the All-Star Classic, this junior came up huge in defeating Cedars Dusty Hone, 7-3.
The two-time state champion was very much looking forward to his match with Hone.
He was my only loss last year. I went 49-1 and then beat him later in the season at nationals, said Findlay. We both have a lot of supporters in our background and theres been some talk going and it felt good to put him down in what I felt was in a convincing manner.
Findlay maintains a 3.8 GPA, and finished with a 43-3 record as a freshman and a 49-1 record as a sophomore. After the All-Star match, his record this year now stands at 17-1.
CAITLYN LARSEN, Viewmont, girls basketball: When the fourth-ranked Viewmont girls basketball team needs something anything the players turn to junior Caitlyn Larsen.
Last year she had to take on the role of scorer and she wasnt quite ready to do that, said coach Clint Straatman. She was starting to become a leader, but this year she has completely taken over that leadership role. Shes been doing everything for us.
The honor student averages nearly 19 points per game for the team, which is undefeated in region play. In fact, Larsen is so versatile Straatman has a hard time singling out her greatest strength, at least athletically.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 46
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25