High school players of the week: Matt Findlay and Caitlyn Larsen
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
MATT FINDLAY, Alta, wrestling: In last weeks wrestling showcase at the All-Star Classic, this junior came up huge in defeating Cedars Dusty Hone, 7-3.
The two-time state champion was very much looking forward to his match with Hone.
He was my only loss last year. I went 49-1 and then beat him later in the season at nationals, said Findlay. We both have a lot of supporters in our background and theres been some talk going and it felt good to put him down in what I felt was in a convincing manner.
Findlay maintains a 3.8 GPA, and finished with a 43-3 record as a freshman and a 49-1 record as a sophomore. After the All-Star match, his record this year now stands at 17-1.
CAITLYN LARSEN, Viewmont, girls basketball: When the fourth-ranked Viewmont girls basketball team needs something anything the players turn to junior Caitlyn Larsen.
Last year she had to take on the role of scorer and she wasnt quite ready to do that, said coach Clint Straatman. She was starting to become a leader, but this year she has completely taken over that leadership role. Shes been doing everything for us.
The honor student averages nearly 19 points per game for the team, which is undefeated in region play. In fact, Larsen is so versatile Straatman has a hard time singling out her greatest strength, at least athletically.
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball tournament...
- Morning links: West's Keisha White's dazzling...
- Timpanogos takes home a 4A state championship...
- High school baseball: American Fork sweeps...
- BYU football receives commitment from Lone...
- High school sports: Spring Academic All-State
- High school All-Sports awards: Lone Peak,...
- BYU football receives commitment from... 18
- Live streams: 4A & 5A baseball... 5
- Timpanogos takes home a 4A state... 3
- High school baseball: American Fork... 3
- Championship Thursday: Four prep state... 0
- 5A baseball playoffs: Rivals set to... 0
- Morning links: West's Keisha White's... 0
- High school sports: Spring Academic... 0