I read a report about the record heat in the U.S. ("U.S. roasts to hottest year on record by landslide," Dec. 8.) Utah is also one of 19 states that experienced their hottest year on record. According to the NOAA National Climatic Data Center, Utah was 3.8 degrees Fahrenheit above average in 2012.
The majority of Americans now believe that human-caused climate change is affecting us, according to the Yale Project on Climate Change Communications. Unfortunately, many of our politicians do not recognize what is abundantly clear to most of us. Responding to a letter I wrote, Sen. Orrin Hatch on Dec. 12 claimed that "actual observations show that the Earth's climate has cooled since 1998."
Now is the time to turn up the heat on our politicians.
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move —...
- Charles Krauthammer: Battle must be fought...
- David Blankenhorn: Berlin boasts a wise use...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 61
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 41
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30