I read a report about the record heat in the U.S. ("U.S. roasts to hottest year on record by landslide," Dec. 8.) Utah is also one of 19 states that experienced their hottest year on record. According to the NOAA National Climatic Data Center, Utah was 3.8 degrees Fahrenheit above average in 2012.
The majority of Americans now believe that human-caused climate change is affecting us, according to the Yale Project on Climate Change Communications. Unfortunately, many of our politicians do not recognize what is abundantly clear to most of us. Responding to a letter I wrote, Sen. Orrin Hatch on Dec. 12 claimed that "actual observations show that the Earth's climate has cooled since 1998."
Now is the time to turn up the heat on our politicians.
- Letter: Conservative courage
- Letter: Corrupted by money
- John Florez: Lawmakers and the art of punting...
- A. Scott Anderson: Scientific research,...
- Kenlee Hess: Immigrants improve American economy
- Letter: Mandatory voting
- Jay Evensen: U.S. should put religious...
- In our opinion: Obama muses about mandatory...