So Brewer said she's proposing a comprehensive performance funding plan for school districts and charter schools. She says the plan would augment per-student funding with an innovative approach to promoting school performance.
On the hot-button of immigration that has put Arizona in the forefront nationally in the past several years, Brewer rejected supporting comprehensive immigration reform now being discussed in Washington, at least now.
"To the reformers, I say, demonstrate your stated commitment to a secure border by making that your first priority," she said. "Once our border is secure, I pledge to work with all fair-minded people to reform our nation's immigration laws."
Brewer, who has battled the federal government on several issues since taking office, said she wants the state to have a bigger role in overseeing federal lands, which make up more than a third of the state's approximately 114,000 square miles of land.
She created a state natural resources review council by executive order Monday, charging its members with creating a plan to maintain public access, multiple use and economic development.
- Switched at birth, man raised in poverty...
- Court: Mormon church, members not liable in...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining challenge
- Actor Paul Walker dies in car crash; was...
- Research: Native American genes have Eurasian...
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy
- Newtown releases 911 calls showing anguish...
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh light on...
- Obama: Income inequality a defining... 71
- Croatians vote against same-sex marriage 43
- Court: Mormon church, members not... 33
- Fast food outlets planning strike for... 25
- Obama declares health care law is... 20
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 19
- Detroit officially enters bankruptcy 18
- Research: Native American genes have... 14