Sen. Orrin Hatch said the GOP is in risk due to the extreme right ("Utah GOP may end up being 'dominated by radicals,' Hatch warns," Jan. 9).
He should know. He's been pandering to his right for several years in fear of ending up like Bob Bennett. If Hatch had been honest before the election, he would've admitted that anyone who can get past the "radicals" in a GOP primary is hard-pressed to win in a general. Just ask Mitt Romney.
Utah tea party organizer David Kirkham said he's not as concerned about the impact of radical elements of the party. Perhaps that is because the Utah tea party are the "radicals" Hatch is referring to. I love Kirkham; I want to buy one of his cars. But the tea party's "scorched earth" politics have hurt the GOP.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 65
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 40
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23