Dick Harmon: Gratitude comes in the form of a healthy heart for a 10-year-old girl
When his family and friends found out, they were "miffed" Reno didn't tell them, to allow them to join in prayer and come to support the Mahe family. In the hours after word went out, Reno and Sunny were overwhelmed with well-wishers brandishing love and support.
"It's humbled me. It was scary," Reno said on Friday, days after Monday's four-hour procedure.
"It's been a rough couple of years for my family, and I think there is a lot expected and when you get something like this thrown into the mix, at the end of the day, you feel helpless.
"I am grateful for those who have taken time and money to go to medical school and receive the training to know what to do to take care of Evie, and the doctor who knew to turn her upside down, and those who operated on her to fix her heart, to those who have prayed for us.
"I'm grateful they didn't have to open up her body and her heart, that there are procedures that they can do this in the way it was done," he said. "I'm grateful for everything, even the curves that have been thrown at us. It has made us stronger. I'm grateful for the simple things, like calling my insurance and finding out we were covered, for those I didn't know how to tell but received their prayers. You take those things for granted."
Gratitude is a lesson everyone can learn again and again. But so is the art of sharing challenges, involving others.
Said Mark Twain, "Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy, you must have somebody to divide it with."
Thanks, Reno, for sharing the story of Evie.
- Guard Elijah Bryant announces he is...
- Cougars say they have learned lessons in wake...
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes' most...
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive line...
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake Olympics...
- Lindon father of five sets world record in...
- Eight BYU, Utah players make the Polynesian...
- Brad Rock: Faith helped infamous former MLB...
- Phil Steele gives tempered assessment... 74
- Morning links: Utah is on the rise in... 73
- BYU looking for another defensive... 33
- Cougars say they have learned lessons... 32
- Utah Utes backup quarterback Donovan... 26
- Morning links: Tom Hackett is the Utes'... 26
- Utah makes top 7 for 4-star offensive... 18
- With Boston out, another Salt Lake... 14