Dick Harmon: Gratitude comes in the form of a healthy heart for a 10-year-old girl
When his family and friends found out, they were "miffed" Reno didn't tell them, to allow them to join in prayer and come to support the Mahe family. In the hours after word went out, Reno and Sunny were overwhelmed with well-wishers brandishing love and support.
"It's humbled me. It was scary," Reno said on Friday, days after Monday's four-hour procedure.
"It's been a rough couple of years for my family, and I think there is a lot expected and when you get something like this thrown into the mix, at the end of the day, you feel helpless.
"I am grateful for those who have taken time and money to go to medical school and receive the training to know what to do to take care of Evie, and the doctor who knew to turn her upside down, and those who operated on her to fix her heart, to those who have prayed for us.
"I'm grateful they didn't have to open up her body and her heart, that there are procedures that they can do this in the way it was done," he said. "I'm grateful for everything, even the curves that have been thrown at us. It has made us stronger. I'm grateful for the simple things, like calling my insurance and finding out we were covered, for those I didn't know how to tell but received their prayers. You take those things for granted."
Gratitude is a lesson everyone can learn again and again. But so is the art of sharing challenges, involving others.
Said Mark Twain, "Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of joy, you must have somebody to divide it with."
Thanks, Reno, for sharing the story of Evie.
- Changing fields: Returned missionary college...
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage; Cougars...
- LDS pitcher Matthew Neil asked for a trial...
- Felt's Facts, week 10: State records set; a...
- Peavler: Breaking down BYU, Utah and Utah...
- BYU walk-on Carter makes most of rushing...
- High school cross-country: Timpanogos,...
- High school cross-country: American Fork...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 69
- Dick Harmon: Utes climb on big stage;... 60
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 51
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 32
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 27
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 26