LOS ANGELES — The cold snap that has brought unseasonably cold temperatures to California has engulfed several other Western states.
The National Weather Service has told residents in most of southern Arizona, including Tucson, to prepare for near-record cold this morning. The NWS has issued a hard-freeze warning for the area effective until Tuesday morning.
The NWS said the temperatures are expected to dip low enough to kill some vegetation and crops while creating dangerous conditions for residents and pets. Exposed water pipes will freeze, the agency said.
A freeze warning is also in effect until Tuesday morning for the greater Phoenix area with morning lows in the low 30s for the city, while outlying suburbs and rural areas should expect temperatures to dip to the low 20s.
The NWS recommends residents take their pets and sensitive plants indoors.
The cold weather — stemming from a Canadian air mass — descended on Southern California on Thursday.
New Mexico is also facing below-freezing temperatures, while the high in Albuquerque will be at or below freezing for the next three days. Albuquerque saw below-freezing temperatures Friday night.
In Colorado, the Denver Broncos and Baltimore Ravens battled Saturday in a playoff game, the Associated Press reported. It was 13 degrees when the players ran onto the field.
Much of southern Nevada will also be gripped by cold into Monday morning, as overnight temperatures may drop as low as 15 degrees.
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Does getting married really increase wealth...
- Cellphone unlocking set to become legal again
- 3 ways you can save money on movie theater...
- Family feud sparks revolt at grocery store...
- Battered by recalls, GM buoyed by its large SUVs
- Russian execs fear lasting damage from...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate... 8
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 7
- New solar energy project at Utah... 6
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last... 5
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- 3 ways you can save money on movie... 3