OREM — Utah Valley University led from start to finish in a lopsided 71-38 victory over Chicago State University on Saturday in the UCCU Center. It's the third straight win for the Wolverines (7-11), who also improved to 2-0 in the Great West Conference.
Sammie Jensen notched her 13th double-double of the season with another impressive line, scoring 22 points and hauling in 13 rebounds for UVU. Kaycee Mansfield finished with 16 points and nine boards, hitting 6-of-8 shots from the floor, while Tina Doughty had 13 points, five boards and four assists and Taylor Huber added 10 points off the Wolverines' bench.
"Tonight showed we can be a pretty good team. We had some possessions, especially on the defensive end, where we were really good," Utah Valley head coach Cathy Nixon said. "It's good to take care of business and get a home win. Hopefully we can build on this and continue to have a number of people contribute."
The Cougars (1-16, 0-1) got 12 points apiece from Paris Williams and Jackie Jones.
SAN JOSE STATE 103, UTAH STATE 80: At San Jose, Calif., five Aggies scored in double figures, but Utah State still suffered a Western Athletic Conference setback to the high-scoring Spartans.
With the loss, USU falls to 3-2 in the WAC and 6-10 overall. San Jose State breaks a three-game losing streak and improves to 2-3 and 5-11. The Spartans broke a 10-game losing streak against USU and their 103 points scored tied a school record.
Senior guard Jenna Johnson had her fourth straight double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds for Utah State. Freshman guard Makenlee Williams led the Aggies with 19 points, while junior guard Jennifer Schlott added 16 and senior guard Devyn Christensen had 13 more. Sophomore guard Elise Nelson contributed a season-high 10 points,
San Jose State's Emily Schill had a career day against the Aggies with 36 points and 17 rebounds to go along with six assists and four steals. Riana Byrd added a double-double with 15 points and 13 rebounds. Ta'Rea Cunnigan added 26 points for the Spartans.
SOUTHERN UTAH 74, WEBER STATE 61: At Ogden, the Thunderbirds came away with a Big Sky Conference road victory over the Wildcats on Saturday afternoon at the Dee Events Center.
Southern Utah's Hailey Mandelko, Carli Moreland and Kimie Hawkins scored 14 points apiece, and an 18-2 run over the first eight minutes of the second half pretty much sealed the deal for SUU.
The Wildcats were led by freshman guard Des Ramos, who finished with 11 points.
SLCC 68, CNCC 47: At Rangely, Colo., the Bruins picked up their second straight road win. They led by 16 points at the half and shot 60 percent from the field in the victory.
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and Cecil O....
- High school football: Reigning Mr. Football...
- Ready to roll: US national soccer team ready...
- Utah Jazz: Massive, state-of-the-art...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their own...
- Rock On: Getting up to speed at BYU, Jazz's...
- A closer look at the Utah Jazz's 2013...
- Twitter reaction: U.S. men's soccer team...
- BYU football: Cougars must secure their... 148
- High school football: Reigning Mr.... 32
- Phil Steele ranks USU 2nd-most... 28
- Dick Harmon: Bronco Mendenhall and... 28
- Trevor Reilly, Jake Murphy to represent... 22
- Teen's family apologizes to family of... 21
- Austin Collie's workout with San... 18
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Unprecedented... 18