"I can make a firm pledge. Under my plan, no family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase," President Barack Obama promised during his campaign. "Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes, not any of your taxes."
He soon violated that promise when he signed the "fiscal cliff" deal (H.R. 8) into law. This so-called "deal" raises taxes by $620 billion over 10 years and only cuts $15 billion in spending.
What the president didn't mention in his press conference about this "deal" is that a payroll tax cut will lapse, resulting in a tax increase for 77 percent of American households. Everyone from Utah rightly voted against this so called "deal" except for our senior senator, Orrin Hatch.
- Richard Davis: Latter-day Saints should... 190
- My view: Marriage and social justice go... 98
- Greg Bell: Defenders of religious... 86
- In our opinion: Religious freedom... 52
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize... 50
- Letter: Gun control 50
- Letter: Obama fans? 43
- Faith, family and freedom join to... 25