Reports of hit list probed in CA school shooting

By Tracie Cone

Associated Press

Published: Friday, Jan. 11 2013 2:54 p.m. MST

Parents and students gather outside Taft Union High School after a shooting on Thursday, Jan. 10, 2012 in Taft, Calif.

Associated Press

Enlarge photo»

TAFT, Calif. — California authorities are investigating allegations that a 16-year-old boy held in a classroom shooting that wounded a classmate had been suspended from school last year for having a hit list.

Kern County Sheriff's Department spokesman Ray Pruitt says the reports of the hit list are being looked into as part of the investigation into Thursday's shooting at Taft Union High School in the city of Taft.

Almost immediately after the shooting, other students began giving accounts about the suspect having drawn up a list at some point.

The sheriff's spokesman says the teen was booked into juvenile hall for investigation of two counts of attempted murder and one count of assault with a deadly weapon. Investigators plan to submit their case to the district attorney's office on Monday.

Get The Deseret News Everywhere

Subscribe

Mobile

RSS