Dave Seibert, The Arizona Republic, Associated Press
PHOENIX — The sheriff for metropolitan Phoenix has launched a plan to have as many as 500 armed volunteers patrol areas just outside schools in an effort to guard against shootings like month's attack at a Connecticut elementary school that left 26 people dead.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office said Wednesday that the patrols were launched earlier this week at 59 schools in unincorporated areas and communities that pay his agency for police services.
Arpaio hopes to have as many as 400 posse volunteers and another 100 volunteers known as reserve deputies take part in the patrols.
The plan from the sheriff known for immigration enforcement and housing jail inmates in canvas tents has led some longtime critics to say Arpaio's latest effort is meant to grab headlines and won't be sustained over the long term.
"Why would people complain about my posse being in front of schools to act as prevention?" Arpaio asked, noting that he wants the patrols to last throughout the remainder of the school year.
The volunteers, dressed in uniforms and driving patrol vehicles, won't go onto school grounds unless they spot danger and won't sit in stationary spots. Instead, they'll patrol several schools as part of their driving routes.
Andrew Sanchez, a town council member in Guadalupe, said he doesn't want the sheriff's posse members patrolling outside schools in his town. The community of about 6,000 spends $1.2 million a year to have Arpaio's office provide police protection.
"We are paying him to have certified deputies here, not to bring a circus and not to use our town as a political platform," Sanchez said.
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who went...
- Dress codes: Where should schools set limits?
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases on...
- Dinosaur discoveries in Utah's 'amazing...
- 283 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has ‘no...
- Educational freedom and religious schools:...
- Let the (real) games begin: It's NBA playoff...
- Obama: Religious intolerance has... 76
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 32
- The dangers of financially illiterate... 30
- Bureau of Land Management to pursue... 22
- Report projects health law's subsidies... 21
- 'Obamacare' under attack as... 14
- Sentenced but never jailed, robber who... 14
- Kathleen Sebelius: Health care launch... 10