Dave Seibert, The Arizona Republic, Associated Press
PHOENIX — The sheriff for metropolitan Phoenix has launched a plan to have as many as 500 armed volunteers patrol areas just outside schools in an effort to guard against shootings like month's attack at a Connecticut elementary school that left 26 people dead.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's office said Wednesday that the patrols were launched earlier this week at 59 schools in unincorporated areas and communities that pay his agency for police services.
Arpaio hopes to have as many as 400 posse volunteers and another 100 volunteers known as reserve deputies take part in the patrols.
The plan from the sheriff known for immigration enforcement and housing jail inmates in canvas tents has led some longtime critics to say Arpaio's latest effort is meant to grab headlines and won't be sustained over the long term.
"Why would people complain about my posse being in front of schools to act as prevention?" Arpaio asked, noting that he wants the patrols to last throughout the remainder of the school year.
The volunteers, dressed in uniforms and driving patrol vehicles, won't go onto school grounds unless they spot danger and won't sit in stationary spots. Instead, they'll patrol several schools as part of their driving routes.
Andrew Sanchez, a town council member in Guadalupe, said he doesn't want the sheriff's posse members patrolling outside schools in his town. The community of about 6,000 spends $1.2 million a year to have Arpaio's office provide police protection.
"We are paying him to have certified deputies here, not to bring a circus and not to use our town as a political platform," Sanchez said.
- Washington school gunman was homecoming...
- NYC police commissioner: Hatchet attack was...
- Suspect from Salt Lake City arrested in death...
- Ebola: More calls for travel bans or quarantines
- Apology for student who says teacher...
- Religious, political leaders in Michigan and...
- Sonar mapping shines new light on partially...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to perform...
- Two Christian ministers refuse to... 117
- California orders churches, others to... 28
- Wyoming prepares to legalize same-sex... 25
- Washington school gunman was homecoming... 21
- Chairman of Becket Fund for Religious... 13
- Expelled Nazis got millions in Social... 10
- Guantanamo prisoners in protest over... 9
- For a waitress, sexual harassment is an... 9