Weber State basketball: Wildcats aim at 6 straight wins vs. SUU
CEDAR CITY — Weber State is generating national attention and justifiably so. After yet another convincing win against North Dakota, the 'Cats have won eight of their last nine, including five straight, and in ESPN analyst Joe Lunardi's recent Bracketology, WSU is predicted to win the Big Sky and enter the NCAA tournament as a No. 13 seed.
That's all fine and dandy, but Weber State (9-3, 4-0) needs to continue to take care of business. The Wildcats will board the bus, drive four hours southbound and square up against Southern Utah (5-8, 3-1) at the Centrum on Thursday at 7 p.m.
WSU has won five consecutive meetings against the Thunderbirds, including the 84-66 win in Ogden last year. The T-Birds are led by Jackson Stevenett, a junior 6-foot-4 forward who chips in 14.9 ppg and 6.3 rpg. In the frontcourt, Damon Heuir averages slightly more than 14 points and 3.9 rebounds.
Weber State's Scott Bamforth was named the Big Sky Player of the Week after shooting lights out from distance. In games against Northern Colorado and North Dakota, Bamforth averaged 20.5 points per game and was 10-of-15 from beyond the rainbow.
Wildcats on the air
Weber State (9-3, 4-0) at Southern Utah (5-8, 3-1)
Centrum Arena, Cedar City
Tonight, 7 p.m.
TV: None Radio: 1280AM
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: tphibbsami
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU downs BYU...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- High school boys basketball: 5A team-by-team...
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There are...
- 4A boys basketball for 2014-15 season
- Rock On: Bronco misses the mark, Utes given...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 159
- Utes drop out of national rankings... 93
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 63
- Branden Bowen breaks Utah commitment,... 43
- Utah football: Utes' annual game with... 42
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 32
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 30