Weber State basketball: Wildcats aim at 6 straight wins vs. SUU
CEDAR CITY — Weber State is generating national attention and justifiably so. After yet another convincing win against North Dakota, the 'Cats have won eight of their last nine, including five straight, and in ESPN analyst Joe Lunardi's recent Bracketology, WSU is predicted to win the Big Sky and enter the NCAA tournament as a No. 13 seed.
That's all fine and dandy, but Weber State (9-3, 4-0) needs to continue to take care of business. The Wildcats will board the bus, drive four hours southbound and square up against Southern Utah (5-8, 3-1) at the Centrum on Thursday at 7 p.m.
WSU has won five consecutive meetings against the Thunderbirds, including the 84-66 win in Ogden last year. The T-Birds are led by Jackson Stevenett, a junior 6-foot-4 forward who chips in 14.9 ppg and 6.3 rpg. In the frontcourt, Damon Heuir averages slightly more than 14 points and 3.9 rebounds.
Weber State's Scott Bamforth was named the Big Sky Player of the Week after shooting lights out from distance. In games against Northern Colorado and North Dakota, Bamforth averaged 20.5 points per game and was 10-of-15 from beyond the rainbow.
Wildcats on the air
Weber State (9-3, 4-0) at Southern Utah (5-8, 3-1)
Centrum Arena, Cedar City
Tonight, 7 p.m.
TV: None Radio: 1280AM
Email: email@example.com; Twitter: tphibbsami
- NBC to unveil new theme song for 'Sunday...
- From Ben Simmons down, international players...
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 63
- Utah football to host Weber State in 2021 41
- Kyle Whittingham says Utah Utes... 37
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Jakob Poeltl to the Utah Jazz? It's... 25
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- Morning links: Warriors feel Andrew... 22