Burns Lundgreen ("Abominable tax rates," Jan. 7) does not understand the negative implications of his statement about the "abomination" of tax rates in America. Not only is the statement false, it is an example of class warfare that contributes little to an effective democracy.
In a country we all "very much" love, I know of no single individual who pays "no taxes" or expects to be supported by those who "do pay taxes." If Burns is referring to the income tax, those who are exempt from paying taxes are abiding by the same law that makes it possible for others to avoid taxes by placing their money in foreign tax shelters.
We are all in this together. The danger is not about taxes, but in demonizing one another for our economic status.
M. Donald Thomas
Salt Lake City
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified rhetoric
- David Butterfield: Utah boxing legends...
- Letter: We can do better
- John Florez: Teach our children the love of...
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800...
- Fredric Rolando: U.S. Postal Service still...
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling amid...
- My view: Problems with Rep. Mike Noel’s...
- Richard Davis: A historic moment for... 60
- Jay Evensen: U.S. silence troubling... 57
- Letter: Fair living wage 33
- In our opinion: Time to separate food... 25
- Letter: Pledge for respect 24
- A. Scott Anderson: Overregulation hurts... 24
- Letter: Climate change is unjustified... 24
- In our opinion: Recent drowning of 800... 21