Burns Lundgreen ("Abominable tax rates," Jan. 7) does not understand the negative implications of his statement about the "abomination" of tax rates in America. Not only is the statement false, it is an example of class warfare that contributes little to an effective democracy.
In a country we all "very much" love, I know of no single individual who pays "no taxes" or expects to be supported by those who "do pay taxes." If Burns is referring to the income tax, those who are exempt from paying taxes are abiding by the same law that makes it possible for others to avoid taxes by placing their money in foreign tax shelters.
We are all in this together. The danger is not about taxes, but in demonizing one another for our economic status.
M. Donald Thomas
Salt Lake City
- Letter: Eroding the BSA
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA fool you...
- In our opinion: After change to state pension...
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood scandal...
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument in...
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to end...
- Letter: Methane benefits
- In our opinion: Time to phase out federal...
- In our opinion: Trump's statements on... 71
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 61
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Teacher pay one way to... 45
- Richard Davis: Planned Parenthood... 38
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 21