Burns Lundgreen ("Abominable tax rates," Jan. 7) does not understand the negative implications of his statement about the "abomination" of tax rates in America. Not only is the statement false, it is an example of class warfare that contributes little to an effective democracy.
In a country we all "very much" love, I know of no single individual who pays "no taxes" or expects to be supported by those who "do pay taxes." If Burns is referring to the income tax, those who are exempt from paying taxes are abiding by the same law that makes it possible for others to avoid taxes by placing their money in foreign tax shelters.
We are all in this together. The danger is not about taxes, but in demonizing one another for our economic status.
M. Donald Thomas
Salt Lake City
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- John Florez: Utah's prison relocation is like...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- Reconnecting with Cuba is a good move —...
- Charles Krauthammer: Battle must be fought...
- David Blankenhorn: Berlin boasts a wise use...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 61
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 41
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 35
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30