Burns Lundgreen ("Abominable tax rates," Jan. 7) does not understand the negative implications of his statement about the "abomination" of tax rates in America. Not only is the statement false, it is an example of class warfare that contributes little to an effective democracy.
In a country we all "very much" love, I know of no single individual who pays "no taxes" or expects to be supported by those who "do pay taxes." If Burns is referring to the income tax, those who are exempt from paying taxes are abiding by the same law that makes it possible for others to avoid taxes by placing their money in foreign tax shelters.
We are all in this together. The danger is not about taxes, but in demonizing one another for our economic status.
M. Donald Thomas
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Supreme Court ruling for...
- My view: Move the prison for the sake of...
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the...
- Jay Evensen: Don't let an apocalypse-free...
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws
- Letter: Shredded Constitution
- Letter: A ‘cursory’ look
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect...
- Letter: Shredded Constitution 95
- Letter: Disregarding liberty, laws 51
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 38
- Letter: Trump’s chances 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 31
- Richard Davis: Time to fix Obamacare... 26
- Dan Liljenquist: Time to relegate the... 25
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21