Burns Lundgreen ("Abominable tax rates," Jan. 7) does not understand the negative implications of his statement about the "abomination" of tax rates in America. Not only is the statement false, it is an example of class warfare that contributes little to an effective democracy.
In a country we all "very much" love, I know of no single individual who pays "no taxes" or expects to be supported by those who "do pay taxes." If Burns is referring to the income tax, those who are exempt from paying taxes are abiding by the same law that makes it possible for others to avoid taxes by placing their money in foreign tax shelters.
We are all in this together. The danger is not about taxes, but in demonizing one another for our economic status.
M. Donald Thomas
Salt Lake City
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama...
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- Letter: Dance dress code
- Robert Bennett: Make climate conversations...
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 103
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 87
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 65
- In our opinion: Religion in public life... 53
- Letter: Lateralist logic 40
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 40
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 37
- Join the discussion: How libertarian is... 36