Joey Ferguson, Deseret News
I had to laugh at Gov. Gary Herbert's inaugural address about taking on tough challenges and not postponing difficult decisions. Here are a few of the tough challenges this governor has not taken on:
Asking Utah parents to step up and pay the price for their children's education.
Improving the solidly mediocre performance of Utah schools.
Cleaning up the worst air in the nation.
Bucking his big oil-and-gas donors in order to support renewable energy.
In fact, I can't think of a single tough job this governor has done or ever will do.
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do better...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core just...
- Lois M. Collins: School start times are...
- In our opinion: Recent Napa Valley earthquake...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Same-sex...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 81
- Letter: Police brutality 60
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 46
- Whitt Flora: It's time to put U.S.... 35
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 32
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 28
- Michael Gerson: Too detached to lead?... 25
- In our opinion: To be vigilant,... 23