Ravell Call, Deseret News
Should the government intrude on what junk food or liquid we consume, like what is happening in New York City where Big Gulps are banned?
Yes. Why? Because government is intruding on our "health care insurance," namely Obamacare.
Many of us do not want the government to be too intrusive in our lives. But why should our taxes go to taking care of everyone who suffers from diet-related health issues?
Consuming a lot of sugary or fat-laden foods? Oh well, we may have to pay a little out of our own pocket, but the government will take care of my $1,000 diabetes doctor bills once Obamacare is fully implemented. Take that scenario across the nation.
Let's eat and drink what we want and face lots of mounting government spending.
The two problems are intertwined.
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Shurtleff,...
- Jay's Jokes: Trump's true identity is Batman
- In our opinion: Utah's unique response to the...
- In our opinion: The GOP convention — a...
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day
- Ralph Becker: Reaching for the best of the...
- George F. Will: Adding Pence the pliable to...
- My view: Supporting Utah's public education...
- Richard Davis: What will Americans... 38
- My view: Supporting Utah's public... 36
- In our opinion: Despite alarming shift... 34
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 32
- Mia Love: We are the pioneers of our day 29
- Letter: Acting presidential 26
- Letter: Cruz took a stand 25
- My view: Reform coal leasing policies... 22