Ravell Call, Deseret News
Should the government intrude on what junk food or liquid we consume, like what is happening in New York City where Big Gulps are banned?
Yes. Why? Because government is intruding on our "health care insurance," namely Obamacare.
Many of us do not want the government to be too intrusive in our lives. But why should our taxes go to taking care of everyone who suffers from diet-related health issues?
Consuming a lot of sugary or fat-laden foods? Oh well, we may have to pay a little out of our own pocket, but the government will take care of my $1,000 diabetes doctor bills once Obamacare is fully implemented. Take that scenario across the nation.
Let's eat and drink what we want and face lots of mounting government spending.
The two problems are intertwined.
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 108
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 50
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 44
- Letter: Policy disagreement 44
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 41