Ravell Call, Deseret News
Should the government intrude on what junk food or liquid we consume, like what is happening in New York City where Big Gulps are banned?
Yes. Why? Because government is intruding on our "health care insurance," namely Obamacare.
Many of us do not want the government to be too intrusive in our lives. But why should our taxes go to taking care of everyone who suffers from diet-related health issues?
Consuming a lot of sugary or fat-laden foods? Oh well, we may have to pay a little out of our own pocket, but the government will take care of my $1,000 diabetes doctor bills once Obamacare is fully implemented. Take that scenario across the nation.
Let's eat and drink what we want and face lots of mounting government spending.
The two problems are intertwined.
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do better...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Lois M. Collins: School start times are...
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core just...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Same-sex...
- In our opinion: Recent Napa Valley earthquake...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 81
- Letter: Police brutality 59
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 43
- Whitt Flora: It's time to put U.S.... 35
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 30
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 27
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's... 24
- Michael Gerson: Too detached to lead?... 24