Ravell Call, Deseret News
Should the government intrude on what junk food or liquid we consume, like what is happening in New York City where Big Gulps are banned?
Yes. Why? Because government is intruding on our "health care insurance," namely Obamacare.
Many of us do not want the government to be too intrusive in our lives. But why should our taxes go to taking care of everyone who suffers from diet-related health issues?
Consuming a lot of sugary or fat-laden foods? Oh well, we may have to pay a little out of our own pocket, but the government will take care of my $1,000 diabetes doctor bills once Obamacare is fully implemented. Take that scenario across the nation.
Let's eat and drink what we want and face lots of mounting government spending.
The two problems are intertwined.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- President should not act without...
- Most popular letters to the editor of 2013
- Robert J. Samuelson: Government programs...
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 63
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 59
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 43
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 36
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 22
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 20
- Letter: Foreign aid 18