PAT NEVILLE, Judge Memorial, basketball: With Judge missing three of its top players last Friday, this senior guard came up huge as the Bulldogs eked out a 51-49 victory at Uintah.
"Pat had an absolutely outstanding night as we barely beat Uintah," said Judge coach Dan Del Porto.
Neville scored a game-high 27 points on 8 of 10 shooting, including 7 of 9 shooting from the foul line. He also added five rebounds, three assists and three deflections.
During a 61-51 win over Murray earlier in the week, Neville finished with 16 points, eight rebounds and four assists.
Neville is averaging 10.3 ppg this season, and he's a big reason the Bulldogs are ranked No. 1 in 3A with region play picking up.
REBECCA MAWHINNEY, Wasatch, basketball: This senior point guard doesn't have to say much to lead her teammates.
"She leads by example," said Wasatch head coach Tom Perkins. "She's a very hard worker and I think that's what a lot of her teammates look at."
It doesn't hurt that she's extremely talented, athletic and driven.
"I've coached Division I kids, and she has all of the tools to compete at that level," said Perkins of MaWhinney, who signed with UVU. "She can shoot the three, she can handle the ball, she can rebound, she can pass. We're fortunate that she's developed those skills during the time she's played at Wasatch."
The 6-foot-1 guard works just has hard in the classroom where she maintains a 3.9 GPA. The senior who also plays varsity soccer for the Wasps is averaging 19 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 assist per game. She had a triple double against North Sanpete two weeks ago.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 120
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 29
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 24
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 21
- AP All-Americans: Utah's Wright named... 19