PAT NEVILLE, Judge Memorial, basketball: With Judge missing three of its top players last Friday, this senior guard came up huge as the Bulldogs eked out a 51-49 victory at Uintah.
"Pat had an absolutely outstanding night as we barely beat Uintah," said Judge coach Dan Del Porto.
Neville scored a game-high 27 points on 8 of 10 shooting, including 7 of 9 shooting from the foul line. He also added five rebounds, three assists and three deflections.
During a 61-51 win over Murray earlier in the week, Neville finished with 16 points, eight rebounds and four assists.
Neville is averaging 10.3 ppg this season, and he's a big reason the Bulldogs are ranked No. 1 in 3A with region play picking up.
REBECCA MAWHINNEY, Wasatch, basketball: This senior point guard doesn't have to say much to lead her teammates.
"She leads by example," said Wasatch head coach Tom Perkins. "She's a very hard worker and I think that's what a lot of her teammates look at."
It doesn't hurt that she's extremely talented, athletic and driven.
"I've coached Division I kids, and she has all of the tools to compete at that level," said Perkins of MaWhinney, who signed with UVU. "She can shoot the three, she can handle the ball, she can rebound, she can pass. We're fortunate that she's developed those skills during the time she's played at Wasatch."
The 6-foot-1 guard works just has hard in the classroom where she maintains a 3.9 GPA. The senior who also plays varsity soccer for the Wasps is averaging 19 points, 7 rebounds, 3 steals, and 2 assist per game. She had a triple double against North Sanpete two weeks ago.
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 25