LAS VEGAS — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Las Vegas Wranglers 4-0 Sunday afternoon at Orleans Arena.
Utah controlled the pace from the very beginning and outshot Las Vegas 44-25 as Utah rookie goaltender Grant Rollheiser earned his first professional shutout.
Chris Donovan scored his fourth goal of the year 6:50 into the first period as he fired a slap shot from the right circle. Jimmy Martin who worked the puck up ice picked up an assist along with Adam Estoclet.
Utah made it 2-0 6:46 into the second period as Mitch Wahl blasted a five-on-three goal from the high-slot 15 seconds into the two-man advantage as Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong drew assists. Utah then killed two minutes down five-on-three to keep the score intact in a second period that saw 14 penalties, including 11 minors.
Utah made it 3-0 as Kory Falite jammed in his sixth goal of the year 8:47 into the third period with Martin and Estoclet collecting more assists.
Martin scored his first goal of the night on a five-on-three power-play with 4:57 left in regulation as Gaelan Patterson and Chris Donovan drew assists.
Things got heated in the third period as referee Don Jablonski handed out five game misconducts after Riley Armstrong took a hit in the neutral zone from Adam Huxley.
The Grizzlies return home for five-straight games starting Friday and Saturday, January 11 and 12 with Las Vegas.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 116
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 36
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 32
- Can Utes turn Sweet 16 dance into date... 28
- Photo gallery and video replay: BYU... 23
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 23
- Home games on the Sabbath: RSL... 22
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21