LAS VEGAS — The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Las Vegas Wranglers 4-0 Sunday afternoon at Orleans Arena.
Utah controlled the pace from the very beginning and outshot Las Vegas 44-25 as Utah rookie goaltender Grant Rollheiser earned his first professional shutout.
Chris Donovan scored his fourth goal of the year 6:50 into the first period as he fired a slap shot from the right circle. Jimmy Martin who worked the puck up ice picked up an assist along with Adam Estoclet.
Utah made it 2-0 6:46 into the second period as Mitch Wahl blasted a five-on-three goal from the high-slot 15 seconds into the two-man advantage as Colin Vock and Riley Armstrong drew assists. Utah then killed two minutes down five-on-three to keep the score intact in a second period that saw 14 penalties, including 11 minors.
Utah made it 3-0 as Kory Falite jammed in his sixth goal of the year 8:47 into the third period with Martin and Estoclet collecting more assists.
Martin scored his first goal of the night on a five-on-three power-play with 4:57 left in regulation as Gaelan Patterson and Chris Donovan drew assists.
Things got heated in the third period as referee Don Jablonski handed out five game misconducts after Riley Armstrong took a hit in the neutral zone from Adam Huxley.
The Grizzlies return home for five-straight games starting Friday and Saturday, January 11 and 12 with Las Vegas.
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Wyoming transfer Jason Thompson makes Utah...
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and often...
- Sunday morning QB: Stars and stats from No....
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Utah basketball team makes it a doubly-good...
- BYU football: Cougars in talks with... 62
- BYU defensive back transferring to Utah... 51
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 50
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 34
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 24