WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama has returned to Washington after a winter vacation in Hawaii that was interrupted by the "fiscal cliff" crisis.
Obama arrived at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland on Sunday morning after an overnight flight.
The president's annual end-of-year visit to his native state was disrupted just after Christmas when he was forced to return to the capital to help broker a solution on a plan to avert a combination of tax increases and spending cuts that could have plunged the economy back into recession.
He returned to Hawaii on New Year's Day.
Obama faces a full agenda in Washington, including possible appointments of a new defense secretary and CIA director and a meeting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai (HAH'-mihd KAHR'-zeye).
- Police boss: NYC cops 'quite simply,...
- The Associated Press' top 10 movies of the year
- Christmas 1914: The day even WWI showed humanity
- What people never mention when they talk...
- Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin has aneurysm
- Think your marital status is important? The...
- Prepackaged caramel apples linked to 4...
- 2 cops in New York City ambushed, fatally...
- Obama: US re-establishing diplomatic... 49
- Vermont governor abandons single-payer... 32
- A post-election flurry: Obama tests his... 16
- Sony cancels 'The Interview' Dec. 25... 15
- Forget Santa Claus, Virginia. Was there... 14
- Utah football's Hackett, Orchard named... 11
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Utah mourners for Pakistani children... 8