Kerry Thompson wrote a letter to the editor ("Complete disconnect between science and media," Dec. 5) stating that global warming hasn't occurred for 16 years. This startling conclusion can be traced to an article in the U.K. tabloid Daily Mail. Writer David Rose cherry picked from a much larger data set reported by England's Met Office Hadley Centre. The Met Office issued a public statement to refute Rose's report.
Last month, geologist and science writer James Powell reported his evaluation of 13,950 peer-reviewed articles on global warming published between 1991 and 2012. Only 24 questioned it.
We need to emphasize that science isn't about wishes or opinions; it's about hard evidence. Why not accept it, reject disinformation and work together for solutions?
Salt Lake City
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Iowa caucus...
- Is it time for our first woman president? 50
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 16
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13
- John Florez: Businesses should help pay... 10
- Radon, the unrecognized killer 10
- In our opinion: Legislators need to... 9