Kerry Thompson wrote a letter to the editor ("Complete disconnect between science and media," Dec. 5) stating that global warming hasn't occurred for 16 years. This startling conclusion can be traced to an article in the U.K. tabloid Daily Mail. Writer David Rose cherry picked from a much larger data set reported by England's Met Office Hadley Centre. The Met Office issued a public statement to refute Rose's report.
Last month, geologist and science writer James Powell reported his evaluation of 13,950 peer-reviewed articles on global warming published between 1991 and 2012. Only 24 questioned it.
We need to emphasize that science isn't about wishes or opinions; it's about hard evidence. Why not accept it, reject disinformation and work together for solutions?
Salt Lake City
- Politicians being awkward at Halloween
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: The burden and...
- Jay Evensen: Should Utah be in the Central...
- What will Obama's legacy be?
- My View: Children need mother and father
- In our opinion: Protecting the church from...
- Jay Evensen: IRS abuses continue —...
- Letter: Public education