Kerry Thompson wrote a letter to the editor ("Complete disconnect between science and media," Dec. 5) stating that global warming hasn't occurred for 16 years. This startling conclusion can be traced to an article in the U.K. tabloid Daily Mail. Writer David Rose cherry picked from a much larger data set reported by England's Met Office Hadley Centre. The Met Office issued a public statement to refute Rose's report.
Last month, geologist and science writer James Powell reported his evaluation of 13,950 peer-reviewed articles on global warming published between 1991 and 2012. Only 24 questioned it.
We need to emphasize that science isn't about wishes or opinions; it's about hard evidence. Why not accept it, reject disinformation and work together for solutions?
Salt Lake City
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test?
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive...
- In our opinion: Don't 'Army-ize' local police...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are...
- Letter: Singles solution
- John Hoffmire: To feed the world, we must...
- Charles Krauthammer: The jihadi logic
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on marriage?
- My view: Utah, where do you stand on... 96
- Letter: Bush dilemma 2.0 41
- W. Bradford Wilcox: The new progressive... 37
- George F. Will: Obama needs Congress to... 27
- In our opinion: How committed are... 26
- Can you pass the U.S. citizenship test? 24
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Are... 21
- My view: Intergenerational poverty the... 19