Kerry Thompson wrote a letter to the editor ("Complete disconnect between science and media," Dec. 5) stating that global warming hasn't occurred for 16 years. This startling conclusion can be traced to an article in the U.K. tabloid Daily Mail. Writer David Rose cherry picked from a much larger data set reported by England's Met Office Hadley Centre. The Met Office issued a public statement to refute Rose's report.
Last month, geologist and science writer James Powell reported his evaluation of 13,950 peer-reviewed articles on global warming published between 1991 and 2012. Only 24 questioned it.
We need to emphasize that science isn't about wishes or opinions; it's about hard evidence. Why not accept it, reject disinformation and work together for solutions?
Salt Lake City
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- Can Hollywood keep the faith in faith-based...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 85
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 49
- In our opinion: History will remember... 46
- Letter: Breeding hate 44
- Letter: Policy disagreement 41
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 34