Teachers and parents decided it would be better to help students see the value of contributing over the disadvantages of showing burdensome behavior. They found that even very young children could recognize and experience the good feelings they got whenever they were "contributors" in school compared with the feelings they had when they were not contributing.
The teachers and parents in the Educating for Greatness Alliance believe it is entirely possible to change the main purpose of education. We can help each student find and develop his or her reason for existing to be a special contributor to society. All it will take is a steady concentration on this purpose by students, parents and teachers. Over time, if we are persistent, we will begin to see a culture of violence replaced by a culture of peace.
Lynn Stoddard, a retired educator, is the author of four books on the need to transform public education to meet the needs of students.
- Top scandals and controversies of each United...
- Top scandals and controversies of each US...
- In our opinion: Scouting success will come...
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation of...
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus vote
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Robert Bennett: With public trust waning,...
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate
- Letters: No welfare, ever 59
- Letters: Deception and government 31
- Letter: The real death panel:... 30
- In our opinion: Reduce the legal... 26
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 25
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 24
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 24
- Letters: Paycheck Fairness Act 21