Tom Smart, Deseret News
"Since leaving the Senate and re-engaging with the private sector, I have rediscovered the forces within America," former senator Bob Bennett wrote ("What will the new year bring us," Dec. 31). That he had to re-engage and rediscover America is exactly why he needed to leave the Senate.
Too bad voters didn't give Sen. Hatch the same opportunity recently. Now, we have at least six more years of Hatch helping give the president what he wants.
Yes, the senator did issue a statement stating that the fiscal cliff bill "does not reduce federal spending." He took several paragraphs to explain how flawed the legislation is, but he voted for it anyway. Seems that voting with Sen. Lee against the legislation would have sent a better message to everyone.
- My view: Misinterpretation of Second...
- Letter: Greater security
- In our opinion: Suspended Alaskan oil drilling
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- Letter: Kill off expansion
- Jay Evensen: Here's why we should fear...
- Lois M. Collins: The 'death' of faith may be...
- A. Scott Anderson: We all must take steps to...