Tom Smart, Deseret News
"Since leaving the Senate and re-engaging with the private sector, I have rediscovered the forces within America," former senator Bob Bennett wrote ("What will the new year bring us," Dec. 31). That he had to re-engage and rediscover America is exactly why he needed to leave the Senate.
Too bad voters didn't give Sen. Hatch the same opportunity recently. Now, we have at least six more years of Hatch helping give the president what he wants.
Yes, the senator did issue a statement stating that the fiscal cliff bill "does not reduce federal spending." He took several paragraphs to explain how flawed the legislation is, but he voted for it anyway. Seems that voting with Sen. Lee against the legislation would have sent a better message to everyone.
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Families battling...
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's...
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs America to...
- Republicans and Democrats agree, in part, on...
- Everything you need to know about the...
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games' —...
- In our opinion: To be vigilant, relentless?
- Mary Barker: The real 'Hunger Games'... 82
- In our opinion: Perry indictment a concern 58
- Letter: Utah's birthright 49
- Letter: Irreparable damage 49
- In our opinion: Avoid blurring the line... 46
- Join the discussion: Why is young adult... 42
- Michael Gerson: Rand Paul's bogus outreach 37
- Letter: Protected lands 36