Tom Smart, Deseret News
"Since leaving the Senate and re-engaging with the private sector, I have rediscovered the forces within America," former senator Bob Bennett wrote ("What will the new year bring us," Dec. 31). That he had to re-engage and rediscover America is exactly why he needed to leave the Senate.
Too bad voters didn't give Sen. Hatch the same opportunity recently. Now, we have at least six more years of Hatch helping give the president what he wants.
Yes, the senator did issue a statement stating that the fiscal cliff bill "does not reduce federal spending." He took several paragraphs to explain how flawed the legislation is, but he voted for it anyway. Seems that voting with Sen. Lee against the legislation would have sent a better message to everyone.
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront... 43
- Letter: Medically fragile 39
- Kathleen Parker: Republican candidates... 38
- Letter: Duties of the job 28
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and... 24
- Letter: Harmful side effects 23
- Mark Reynolds: Pipeline alternatives... 23
- John Florez: Lawmakers broke the... 23