Tom Smart, Deseret News
"Since leaving the Senate and re-engaging with the private sector, I have rediscovered the forces within America," former senator Bob Bennett wrote ("What will the new year bring us," Dec. 31). That he had to re-engage and rediscover America is exactly why he needed to leave the Senate.
Too bad voters didn't give Sen. Hatch the same opportunity recently. Now, we have at least six more years of Hatch helping give the president what he wants.
Yes, the senator did issue a statement stating that the fiscal cliff bill "does not reduce federal spending." He took several paragraphs to explain how flawed the legislation is, but he voted for it anyway. Seems that voting with Sen. Lee against the legislation would have sent a better message to everyone.
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- In our opinion: Let FAA, not Utah...
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- My view: Don't make women optional in marriage
- My view: Don't make women optional in... 104
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 98
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 66
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 45
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 39
- In our opinion: On Holder's heels... 34
- A. Scott Anderson: Energy development... 32