The Salt Lake County tax increase hearing was a farce.
We pay our so-called councilmen or servants to attend a hearing on the issue, scheduled by them. Several apparently don't want to hear. Mayor Peter Carroon and councilmen Jim Bradley and Michael Jensen didn't attend. Jensen reportedly receives $179,000 per year from taxpayers, which requires that 150 households must pay $100 per month year-round for him to hear — and he doesn't bother to show.
Of the taxpayers I heard, more than 75 percent opposed the 16.5 percent tax increase. The vote was postponed to accommodate the absent councilmen. Really, they should have no vote. I salute those who voted "no." Those who voted "yes" will cause people to lose their homes and fund fitness centers.
- 16 of the most heart warming and feel-good...
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize...
- In our opinion: It's time to end the federal...
- In our opinion: Fairness for all in religious...
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a...
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the Union...
- Letter: Could Draper shine, too?
- Letter: Peanut butter ban?
- In our opinion: It's time to end the... 37
- In our opinion: Disney outbreak sends a... 33
- Robert Bennett: Obama's State of the... 30
- Letter: Prison nonsense 28
- Ron Clegg: Primary seat belt law will... 21
- Letter: Pay for your share 21
- Letter: Peanut butter ban? 21
- Mike Lee: Tax reform shouldn't penalize... 21