The Salt Lake County tax increase hearing was a farce.
We pay our so-called councilmen or servants to attend a hearing on the issue, scheduled by them. Several apparently don't want to hear. Mayor Peter Carroon and councilmen Jim Bradley and Michael Jensen didn't attend. Jensen reportedly receives $179,000 per year from taxpayers, which requires that 150 households must pay $100 per month year-round for him to hear — and he doesn't bother to show.
Of the taxpayers I heard, more than 75 percent opposed the 16.5 percent tax increase. The vote was postponed to accommodate the absent councilmen. Really, they should have no vote. I salute those who voted "no." Those who voted "yes" will cause people to lose their homes and fund fitness centers.
- Natalie Gochnour: Contrasting religious practice
- Letter: Romancing the gun
- George F. Will: Finding our place in the...
- Michael Erickson: Stop America's later-term...
- Letter: Fall of America
- In our opinion: Remembering German Unity Day
- Letter: Congress surrendered
- John Florez: School board members must speak up