The Salt Lake County tax increase hearing was a farce.
We pay our so-called councilmen or servants to attend a hearing on the issue, scheduled by them. Several apparently don't want to hear. Mayor Peter Carroon and councilmen Jim Bradley and Michael Jensen didn't attend. Jensen reportedly receives $179,000 per year from taxpayers, which requires that 150 households must pay $100 per month year-round for him to hear — and he doesn't bother to show.
Of the taxpayers I heard, more than 75 percent opposed the 16.5 percent tax increase. The vote was postponed to accommodate the absent councilmen. Really, they should have no vote. I salute those who voted "no." Those who voted "yes" will cause people to lose their homes and fund fitness centers.
- Why one Mormon man left Hollywood to be a...
- Doug Robinson: We are in the midst of an era...
- Matthew Sanders: Nelson Mandela's goodness...
- Michael Gerson: The gospel according to JC...
- President should not act without...
- My view: Non-discrimination laws have a problem
- In our opinion: No more 'Government Motors'
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP?
- In our opinion: Don't raise the minimum... 64
- My view: Fix Obamacare, don't replace it 59
- Robert Bennett: Create wealth before... 43
- Letter: Doctors unite 40
- Andrew Morriss: No, Congress should not... 38
- Can Mandela's legacy revive the GOP? 24
- Michael E. Kraft: Yes, Congress should... 22
- President should not act without... 21