The Salt Lake County tax increase hearing was a farce.
We pay our so-called councilmen or servants to attend a hearing on the issue, scheduled by them. Several apparently don't want to hear. Mayor Peter Carroon and councilmen Jim Bradley and Michael Jensen didn't attend. Jensen reportedly receives $179,000 per year from taxpayers, which requires that 150 households must pay $100 per month year-round for him to hear — and he doesn't bother to show.
Of the taxpayers I heard, more than 75 percent opposed the 16.5 percent tax increase. The vote was postponed to accommodate the absent councilmen. Really, they should have no vote. I salute those who voted "no." Those who voted "yes" will cause people to lose their homes and fund fitness centers.
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense Secretary Leon...
- John Hoffmire: What's the next step in the...
- Michael Gerson: A Senate takeover — No...
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the campaign...
- In our opinion: Technology in today's schools...
- My view: Congress must tackle tough issues
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 139
- Greg Bell: Lessons learned form the... 86
- In our opinion: New conservative war on... 53
- In our opinion: Where has the family... 49
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 28
- Charles Krauthammer: We need to... 27
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 25