The Salt Lake County tax increase hearing was a farce.
We pay our so-called councilmen or servants to attend a hearing on the issue, scheduled by them. Several apparently don't want to hear. Mayor Peter Carroon and councilmen Jim Bradley and Michael Jensen didn't attend. Jensen reportedly receives $179,000 per year from taxpayers, which requires that 150 households must pay $100 per month year-round for him to hear — and he doesn't bother to show.
Of the taxpayers I heard, more than 75 percent opposed the 16.5 percent tax increase. The vote was postponed to accommodate the absent councilmen. Really, they should have no vote. I salute those who voted "no." Those who voted "yes" will cause people to lose their homes and fund fitness centers.
- Doug Robinson: Making sense of retired...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage hurts...
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run for...
- Who said it: Reagan or Clinton?
- Jay Evensen: Forest Service photo rules are...
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by focusing on...
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code
- Catherine Rampell: Reasons behind the bad...
- Janna Darnelle: Redefining marriage... 103
- 5 reasons Mitt Romney will probably run... 67
- John Hoffmire: Save capitalism by... 47
- In our opinion: Here's how the Obama... 41
- Drew Clark: Either view of marriage... 39
- A. Scott Anderson: Energy development... 32
- Robert Bennett: Make climate... 30
- Letter: Enforcing the dress code 29