I must be showing my age.
I recall how in the old days, the House prepared a budget — sometimes considering the White House's requests — and then sent it to the Senate, which passed its own version. Both bills were reviewed by a conference committee that reported out a bill agreeable to and passed by both houses and sent to the president for a signature. All this used to be done prior to Sept. 30, to be implemented at the start of the federal fiscal year that begins in October.
I do not recall a committee of just a few who discuss and somehow agree to a budget on New Year's Eve. We are being taken for a very expensive ride by horsemen who have trouble finding the reins.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: Optimism in politics would be...
- Letter: BSA lacks a compass
- Kathleen Parker: Planned Parenthood relying...
- In our opinion: NASA's New Horizons opens up...
- Drew Clark: Utah prison volunteers provide a...
- Letter: Erratic protests
- About Utah: He never yelled, but he sure did...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Identifying...
- Letter: Eroding the BSA 68
- Jay Evensen: An Obama-created monument... 47
- In our opinion: Time to phase out... 27
- In our opinion: After change to state... 25
- My view: Utah leaders, don't let EPA... 25
- Jay Evensen: Muhammad Yunus wants to... 23
- Letter: Proper priority 23
- Letter: Voting like a liberal 22