I must be showing my age.
I recall how in the old days, the House prepared a budget — sometimes considering the White House's requests — and then sent it to the Senate, which passed its own version. Both bills were reviewed by a conference committee that reported out a bill agreeable to and passed by both houses and sent to the president for a signature. All this used to be done prior to Sept. 30, to be implemented at the start of the federal fiscal year that begins in October.
I do not recall a committee of just a few who discuss and somehow agree to a budget on New Year's Eve. We are being taken for a very expensive ride by horsemen who have trouble finding the reins.
Salt Lake City
- 10 movies that offended foreign governments
- In our opinion: U.S. Supreme Court delivers...
- Robert Bennett: Shurtleff and Swallow are...
- My view: Amnesty towards border children is...
- Richard Davis: Latter-day Saints should...
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize...
- About Utah: Q&A with former Kearns,...
- Letter: Gun control
- Richard Davis: Latter-day Saints should... 190
- My view: Marriage and social justice go... 98
- Greg Bell: Defenders of religious... 86
- In our opinion: Religious freedom... 55
- In our opinion: It's time to scrutinize... 55
- Letter: Gun control 50
- In our opinion: U.S. Supreme Court... 49
- Letter: Obama fans? 45