I must be showing my age.
I recall how in the old days, the House prepared a budget — sometimes considering the White House's requests — and then sent it to the Senate, which passed its own version. Both bills were reviewed by a conference committee that reported out a bill agreeable to and passed by both houses and sent to the president for a signature. All this used to be done prior to Sept. 30, to be implemented at the start of the federal fiscal year that begins in October.
I do not recall a committee of just a few who discuss and somehow agree to a budget on New Year's Eve. We are being taken for a very expensive ride by horsemen who have trouble finding the reins.
Salt Lake City
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington
- Letter: Patriots or sheep?
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: New Christmas...
- David Blankenhorn: Berlin boasts a wise use...
- Letter: Police not the problem
- Charles Krauthammer: Battle must be fought...
- In our opinion: Utah sees improvement in...
- Letter: Patriots or sheep? 57
- Mike Lee: Change is coming to Washington 44
- Greg Bell: Socialism vs. the safety net 38
- Susan Roylance: Definition of the... 34
- My view: Chaffetz named... 34
- Letter: Patriots or serfs? 33
- Jay Evensen: Cuba not likely to change... 33
- My view: Torture, morality and the laws... 30