I must be showing my age.
I recall how in the old days, the House prepared a budget — sometimes considering the White House's requests — and then sent it to the Senate, which passed its own version. Both bills were reviewed by a conference committee that reported out a bill agreeable to and passed by both houses and sent to the president for a signature. All this used to be done prior to Sept. 30, to be implemented at the start of the federal fiscal year that begins in October.
I do not recall a committee of just a few who discuss and somehow agree to a budget on New Year's Eve. We are being taken for a very expensive ride by horsemen who have trouble finding the reins.
Salt Lake City
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- Jay Evensen: Unfortunately, Canada may never...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- My view: New treatment can cure Hepatitis C
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 73
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 26