I must be showing my age.
I recall how in the old days, the House prepared a budget — sometimes considering the White House's requests — and then sent it to the Senate, which passed its own version. Both bills were reviewed by a conference committee that reported out a bill agreeable to and passed by both houses and sent to the president for a signature. All this used to be done prior to Sept. 30, to be implemented at the start of the federal fiscal year that begins in October.
I do not recall a committee of just a few who discuss and somehow agree to a budget on New Year's Eve. We are being taken for a very expensive ride by horsemen who have trouble finding the reins.
Salt Lake City
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- Charles Krauthammer: The nation expects...
- My view: The best legislation meets all sides
- A. Scott Anderson: Give students skills that...
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges...
- My view: Deeper look at Utah’s...
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Letter: Give her time
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 152
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 75
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 43
- Dan Liljenquist: Rights vs. privileges... 36
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 30
- My view: The best legislation meets all... 30
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 29
- Letter: Legal weapons on campus 29