"If people think they should cheer, they should cheer," he said. "If they feel the need to boo, they should boo. I know one thing: When I was here I played hard, I tried my best. If some nights I did not be at that level, well, sorry."
Actually, he was at that level in the first quarter, racking up six points, five rebounds, an assist and two blocks. You could picture the stat keepers clapping. He followed a missed shot for a score, slipped behind DeMarre Caroll to deflect a shot, flicked a one-handed assist to Nikola Pekovic for a layup.
It didn't last, as he finished with 12 points, seven rebounds, two assists and two blocks. Still, Kirilenko is playing his best basketball since 2005-06 and having his best-shooting year ever. He has six double-doubles this season, 85 in his career. He is six assists and two steals away from becoming the 15th player in league history to record 2,000 assists, 1,000 steals and 1,000 blocks.
All of which he handled on Wednesday with a customary shrug. Part of the job, he said, part of what he did for Utah for a decade.
"I played 10 years, every year, different role," he said. "Right now I play pretty good basketball and I'm very happy in my role."
His role as both a good guy and a box score freak?
It's still making people do a double take.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: therockmonster, Facebook: rockmonsterunplugged
Did you see Rock's last article about Scott Mitchell? Here are the results of his poll questions:
- Ranking the best NBA players to ever come out...
- BYU basketball: Confident San Francisco...
- Former Lone Peak center Justin Hamilton makes...
- 15 lessons learned from a BYU rugby game
- Utah Jazz: Boos for Paul Millsap?...
- Basketball bonds: Hoops have tied Utah star...
- Photo story: What teenagers taught me at the...
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Utah basketball: Utes clip Cal in... 84
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes come up... 73
- High school boys basketball: 5A/4A/1A... 57
- BYU football: Practice fights elicit... 57
- BYU basketball: Despite dearth of... 34
- Utah basketball: Runnin' Utes eager to... 29
- BYU basketball: Bottom seed LMU knocks... 26
- Krystkowiak asks Runnin' Utes to stay... 24