The brothers went on to share something else in common. Both served LDS Church missions. Jordan served in Florida, while Dallin labored in Croatia.
"Faith is a big part of our lives. Growing up in Canada where there's not quite as many LDS people as there is in Utah or even in Arizona, you learn that it's really important to you," Dallin said. "It's not just because your parents did it. It's not just because you know it should be right. But you truly believe its right."
Dallin said the two-year breaks from basketball really helped Jordan physically. He was able to heal from some injuries and add 50 or so pounds to his frame. Dallin, meanwhile, thinks his growth was more mentally advantageous.
Although Jordan nearly wound up at BYU, Dallin believes both players ended up elsewhere for a reason. Jordan met his wife at ASU and Dallin firmly believes that Utah is where he is supposed to be.
Now, as those two paths prepare to cross, the Bachynskis are looking forward to it. The talk, however, began long ago.
"It hasn't just been this week," Jordan said with a laugh. "(Dallin) started trash talking the minute he signed with Utah."
EXTRA STUFF: Jessica Bachynski, the younger sister of Jordan and Dallin, is a 6-foot-1 sophomore at Utah Valley University. … Krystkowiak confirmed that senior Cedric Martin will play against ASU. Martin has been sidelined with a groin injury since the BYU game on Dec. 8. … ASU and Utah had two common opponents during non-conference play — Sacramento State and Cal State Northridge. The Sun Devils beat both teams, while the Utes lost to both.
Utah (8-4, 0-0) at Arizona State (11-2, 0-0)
Wells Fargo Arena
TV: Pac-12 Network
Radio: 700 AM
- Utah Jazz select Baylor forward Taurean...
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- 76ers take Ben Simmons with No. 1 pick in NBA...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- NFL to interview Matthew, Peppers, Harrison...
- North Carolina AD: School will respond to...
- Championship ring: President calls Cavs coach...
- Items owned by gangster 'Whitey' Bulger to be...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 164
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 70
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 57
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 34
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 32
- Utah Jazz plan to be 'active' during... 21
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19