JOHANNESBURG — South African media say three people died and 4,000 were displaced when fires swept through shacks in poor settlements in the Cape Town area on New Year's Day.
Citing disaster management officials, the South African Press Association says the blazes broke out in Khayelitsha and Thembeni, densely populated areas where many residents live in makeshift homes.
The worst fire started just before 5 a.m. in Khayelitsha, when many people were still asleep. Three people died, and another suffered serious burns and was taken to a hospital.
The causes of the fires are under investigation.
- Photos: Celebrating 25 years of spectacular...
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big, new U....
- Native American actors walk off set of Adam...
- Number of LDS converts, missionaries...
- Jaws meets kangaroo? Rare, cute pocket shark...
- 23 of the best Shakespearean insults to...
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to testify
- What could McDonald's do to fix its business?
- Same-sex marriage opponents urge... 36
- House Benghazi panel calls Clinton to... 28
- Gay marriage a difficult issue for GOP... 24
- Yellowstone supervolcano is super big,... 24
- Obama sounds alarm on climate damage in... 23
- American, Italian hostages killed in US... 20
- Longtime Marco Rubio-Jeb Bush alliance... 13
- Hatch, Lee split on new attorney general 12