It seems impossible to agree on a gun control solution. What should be done?
Every gun owner and new gun purchaser should be required to obtain a liability policy for, say, $1 million. Then, if his or her gun causes disability, death or damages anyone's property, the insurance company will pay the victims. This would be in addition to what the law requires of the perpetrator.
All gun owners must complete an application to be qualified for liability insurance, and insurance companies check individuals' health and mental stability carefully before issuing any policy.
Issued policies will be subject to renewal annually with a follow-up investigation, and premiums will be adjusted if necessary.
- My view: MMR vaccine caused my son's autism
- In our opinion: Utah's caucus system needs...
- Facts about the Boy Scouts of America
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an assault on...
- Letters: Move to the center
- My view: UDOT listened, made a good choice
- Letters: No welfare, ever
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should keep up...
- Letters: No welfare, ever 77
- Letters: Move to the center 35
- My view: Why moderates lost the caucus... 33
- Tolerance and the same-sex marriage debate 32
- Richard Davis: Abortion laws should... 28
- In our opinion: Big screen exploitation... 27
- Dan Liljenquist: IRS scandal is an... 26
- Robert J. Samuelson: Can Americans stem... 21