BRANDON MORLEY, Bingham, basketball: This 7-foot senior had an outstanding showing while participating in a California tournament last week.
He averaged 15.3 points over four games at the Holiday Classic in San Diego to lead Bingham to a perfect 4-0 record and the Senator's Division championship.
For his efforts, Morley was named the tournament MVP for the Senator's Division.
"He had a great week. He went against some very quick and athletic players and had a lot of success," said Bingham High coach Mark Dubach.
With the preseason coming to a close, Morley has helped lead Bingham to a 8-3 record by averaging 15.6 ppg.
ALEKSA GAPPMAYER, Maple Mountain, girls basketball: Aleksa Gappmayer could have relied on her ability to drive to the basket and sink a free throw, but she did not.
Instead, the senior worked hard in the offseason to develop an outside shot benefiting both her stat line and her team's success.
"It added balance to her game," said Maple Mountain head coach Cory Green. "Probably her greatest strength and biggest difference is that she's almost like a coach on the floor. She's by far the de facto team leader. It's nice to have a player on the floor who basically knows what needs to happen at the same time you as a coach know what needs to happen."
The 5-7 guard is averaging 22.5 points, 7 rebounds and 4.6 steals per game. She's an honor student who verbally committed to Snow College earlier this month.
- Utah Jazz: A look at each player's contract...
- Dick Harmon: The Mangum brothers are a...
- Salt Lake marathon is first win for Lehi...
- Utah's second spring scrimmage is 'a dead heat'
- Utah Jazz: Future of Trevor Booker, Joe...
- Doug Robinson: The high cost of coaches
- Utah gymnastics: Red Rocks finish second to...
- Optimism abounds for the Utah Jazz's future
- Former BYU star Ena fitting in well at... 76
- Utah football: Dres Anderson shines in... 58
- Morning links: Krystkowiak shares his... 32
- Rose still has lofty goals for BYU's... 30
- Dick Harmon: Careers of Aaron... 25
- Mountain West Conference announces... 22
- Morning links: Booker ends the year... 17
- Video: Utah football coaches revved up... 16