NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said that we as a nation must spend whatever money is needed to place armed police or guards inside every school in America. That is an emotionalism response to the horrific shooting in Connecticut. The taxpayers' cost would also be horrific if that policy were adopted by our national and local officials.
There is a much more effective and reasonable? — and much less costly — solution to having armed officers in all schools. This can easily be accomplished by principals recruiting a few well-qualified teachers, janitors and administrative staff — not police or guards — to become certified with concealed firearms permits.
Speaking as a former peace officer, I belive most of the problem will then be solved.
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 35
- Letter: Not so lazy 34
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31
- Doug Robinson: NFL overtime rules need... 26