NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said that we as a nation must spend whatever money is needed to place armed police or guards inside every school in America. That is an emotionalism response to the horrific shooting in Connecticut. The taxpayers' cost would also be horrific if that policy were adopted by our national and local officials.
There is a much more effective and reasonable? — and much less costly — solution to having armed officers in all schools. This can easily be accomplished by principals recruiting a few well-qualified teachers, janitors and administrative staff — not police or guards — to become certified with concealed firearms permits.
Speaking as a former peace officer, I belive most of the problem will then be solved.
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a liberal?
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation that...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that canceled...
- Anne Loeser: Reverse trends about breast cancer
- In our opinion: Dropouts face high risk of...
- My view: New treatment can cure Hepatitis C
- Letter: The Romneys' new center
- 33 Mark Twain quotes that prove he was an...
- In our opinion: Utah gun law that... 150
- Richard Davis: Can a Mormon not be a... 71
- Jay Evensen: We're becoming a nation... 39
- Letter: What is ‘common good?’ 31
- Robert Bennett: Former Defense... 29
- Letter: Lessons for Greg Bell 28
- Letter: Uninformed candidate 27
- In our opinion: School reformers should... 26