NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said that we as a nation must spend whatever money is needed to place armed police or guards inside every school in America. That is an emotionalism response to the horrific shooting in Connecticut. The taxpayers' cost would also be horrific if that policy were adopted by our national and local officials.
There is a much more effective and reasonable? — and much less costly — solution to having armed officers in all schools. This can easily be accomplished by principals recruiting a few well-qualified teachers, janitors and administrative staff — not police or guards — to become certified with concealed firearms permits.
Speaking as a former peace officer, I belive most of the problem will then be solved.
- Doug Robinson: Violence against women is...
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act needs...
- Can a news channel 'solve problems'?
- The relationship between religiosity and...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- My view: A global warming solution to grow...
- Join the discussion: Is feminism misunderstood?
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 114
- In our opinion: The Affordable Care Act... 64
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 63
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 53
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 51
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 35
- My view: A global warming solution to... 35