NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre said that we as a nation must spend whatever money is needed to place armed police or guards inside every school in America. That is an emotionalism response to the horrific shooting in Connecticut. The taxpayers' cost would also be horrific if that policy were adopted by our national and local officials.
There is a much more effective and reasonable? — and much less costly — solution to having armed officers in all schools. This can easily be accomplished by principals recruiting a few well-qualified teachers, janitors and administrative staff — not police or guards — to become certified with concealed firearms permits.
Speaking as a former peace officer, I belive most of the problem will then be solved.
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration...
- How America feels about Mitt Romney right now
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive order...
- In our opinion: 70 mph — driving at the...
- Greg Bell: It's time to raise the gas tax
- Letter: Acting on immigration
- My view: Global warming needs free market
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude...
- Letter: Where jobs come from 64
- Dan Liljenquist: Obamacare was a rude... 61
- Letter: Growing party divide 52
- In our opinion: U.S. needs immigration... 51
- Michael Gerson: Obama’s executive... 44
- How America feels about Mitt Romney... 40
- In our opinion: When it comes to... 40
- Letter: Speed limit increase 26