Tom Smart, Deseret News
Why has it taken so long for Congress to deal with the fiscal cliff? We all know that we have to do something to balance our spending with our income.
The bottom line is that it is getting harder to provide for a family's basic needs in America. Some low-income families are now having to live in homeless shelters because there is not enough low-income housing. In the last 15 years, the poorest 20 percent in our country have experienced a decline of income of more than 11 percent. Yet, the richest 5 percent have experienced an increase of more than 10 percent.
It appears that the rich are saying to the rest of the country that they will get richer regardless of how hard life is for the rest of the country.
- In our opinion: Yes, Virginia, there is a...
- In our opinion: Joy to the World — the...
- Beverly Willett: National marriage rates in...
- Letter: Sharing culpability
- Jay Evensen: Fixing Salt Lake's Pioneer Park...
- This year's most popular editorials
- Prisons bring much positive change
- Letter: High-density housing