High school boys basketball: Northern 3A teams thrilled tourney is up North again
Morgan's Jake Miles leads 3A with 25.0 ppg, while Bear River's Wade Miller is second with 22.7 ppg. Not surprisingly, their respective teams are the front-runners in the region race. Ben Lomond and Grantsville should factor in, as well.
"I think our region will be more competitive that way and the teams that come out on top will be better prepared for the state tournament," said Morgan coach Jim Wiscombe.
The Region 12 race is arguably the most unpredictable heading into league play.
Spanish Fork won seven straight to open the season, including a win over Cedar, but it has since lost three straight — including a 55-48 loss to Desert Hills.
Carbon (7-4) and its three returning starters are riding a six-game winning streak heading into the new year. The Dinos were tabbed by the Region 12 coaches as the team to beat as well.
Delta and Payson can't de discounted as contenders either.
Deseret News 3A region projections
Note: Projections were picked by the Deseret News staff based on observations from the first month of the season.
2. Desert Hills
3. Snow Canyon
5. Pine View
6. Canyon View
2. Juan Diego
4. Park City
2. Bear River
3. Ben Lomond
1. Spanish Fork
5. North Sanpete
6. JuabRegion projections
REGION 91. Cedar2. Desert Hills3. Snow Canyon4. Dixie5. Pine View6. Canyon View7. Hurricane
REGION 101. Judge2. Juan Diego3. Wasatch4. Park City5. Union6. Uintah
REGION 111. Morgan2. Bear River3. Ben Lomond4. Grantsville5. Stansbury6. Ogden7. Tooele
REGION 121. Spanish Fork2. Carbon3. Delta4. Payson5. North Sanpete6. Juab
NOTE: As chosen by the Deseret News staff, based on early-season results.
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19 in AP,...
- Friday fracas: Trevor Booker nearly hit, gets...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most worthy of...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 67
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 47
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 29
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24
- Friday morning QB: Three stars and five... 23