Educational and entertaining apps, playlists, videos for a child's iPod Touch
Standin Tall set. I love these 12 CDs about different values like courage, self-esteem, honesty, and work.Their Safety Kids set is well done too. ($215.95 for the set; pricey, but tons of great content)
Im checking out several classic books-on-CD from the library and will rotate them through. (free)
iTunes also has dozens of read-aloud books, many of which are free. (free to $6.99)
Well also create a few playlists with the kids favorite songs. (The John Williams superhero anthems are always top requests.)
The younger kids are starting with a video like Meet the Sight Words, because a little straight up memorization has worked wonders to speed up their preK and kindergarten reading.
The older two are going to watch documentaries (theyre still young, so I wield this kind of power!). Im starting with Brooklyn Castle because it reinforces their current participation in their schools chess club. Ill also download the podcast of the filmmakers.
Im planning to buy a few favorite digital books for each child, customized to their reading level. Im also going to download pictures of their cousins and relatives so they can practice with names before we arrive at the festivities. The older two will be able to take pictures along the way and create a slideshow of their trip.
So theres my plan.
Post script analytical spin
For those of you who enjoy disruptive innovation theory, heres the skinny on me through that lens. My kids are nonconsumers of digital learning during their travel time and commutes. They have books and DVD players, but they do not have access to the much broader set of content and instruction available digitally. My jobs-to-be-done are to entertain young kids so they can travel somewhat independently and to make traveling and commutes more educational. The iPods arent as good as being in school, but thats not the job Im hiring the iPods to do while were on a holiday.
Smartphone-sized devices are disruptive relative to personal computers. Theyre less expensive, simpler, and will delight my children even though they may not be as good as laptops and tablets available at higher prices for users with deeper expertise. The performance hurdle required to delight my new-to-the-market children is quite modest. Heres an infographic about Apple and how it is currently dominating the tech war in Americas classrooms. Watch out though Apple, because you are currently being disrupted by Android devices, which have a more open architecture and will make handheld ownership available to many new-market customers over the long term. But the performance of the Androids is not yet good enough for me, because I want an all-in-one device for MP3s, video, and education apps, and Apples ecosystem does that best . . . for now.
- Modest swimsuit designer speaks out on bikinis
- Bear scare: 'Baden and Logan saved my life.'
- 7-year-old girl who met Justin Bieber passes...
- Dear son: This is why I can't save you from...
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at question...
- Dear mom who sometimes feels like a terrible...
- 'Pain capable' abortion regulation makes...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias into gay...
- Pew study: News media inserted bias... 57
- Parents rally after Canadian elementary... 25
- Miss Utah USA gets second chance at... 21
- Gunman caught after shooting... 20
- Modest swimsuit designer speaks out on... 17
- Dad shares lessons learned from living... 12
- Ogden man shot as he knelt to pray is... 12
- Push for solutions underway to Utah's... 11