Russia: Assad won't leave Syria
Moscow is open to talks with rebels, official says
MOSCOW (MCT) — Syrian President Bashar Assad has no intention of leaving his country, and rebels for the time being should put aside the demand that he step aside as a precondition for negotiations, Russia's top diplomat said Saturday after a meeting in Moscow with the United Nations' peace envoy to the conflict.
Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said envoy Lakhdar Brahimi told him that Assad was determined to "stay in his position to the end and will protect Syrian people, Syrian sovereignty and so on and so forth, and there is no chance to change his position." Brahimi met with the Syrian leader this past week before traveling on to Moscow.
Lavrov reiterated that Russia, which remains one of the Syrian leader's few international allies, is not bound to the notion that Assad remain in power.
He also insisted that Russia is not supplying offensive weapons to Syria and was only fulfilling its contract obligations to supply defensive weapons such as anti-aircraft systems. Moscow shouldn't be held responsible for the arsenal of Soviet-era weapons still at the Syrian government's disposal, he said.
Brahimi in his turn warned against "the Somalization of Syria," a reference to the long conflict between Somalia's government and rebels. The envoy said Lebanon and Jordan could not accommodate a large number of additional refugees if fighting continued in neighboring Syria.
Lavrov said Russia was still open to holding talks with the Syrian opposition without preconditions with an aim of ending the fighting. Moaz Khatib, leader of the National Coalition of Syrian Revolutionary and Opposition Forces, had rejected Lavrov's call last week for a dialogue.
- A kiss, a prayer: The last hours of MH17's...
- Appreciating sacrifice: Deployed soldiers...
- Official: Air Algerie flight carrying 116...
- Britain's little prince celebrates first...
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza border
- Iraqis: Jihadis blow up Muslim shrine said to...
- Rep. Paul Ryan proposes streamlining 11...
- Pope meets Sudanese Christian woman who was...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 52
- Appeals courts issue contradictory... 49
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Gov. Rick Perry sending National Guard... 24
- Hamas calls for end to blockade of Gaza... 23
- Obama fundraises for Dems; demands GOP... 19
- Despite crush of children, illegal... 16
- Obama voices concern about casualties... 14