September: Utah head football coach Kyle Whittingham makes it clear that he will no longer tolerate the type of disappointing, sub-par performances that contributed to the Utes' losing season last year. He threatens all of his players with a fiery glare that would melt metal, and his team responds with a 4-0 start that finally has folks smiling again up on the hill. Well, everybody but Whittingham.
October: The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim Or Some Other Crowded City in Southern California, who have taken the "best team money can buy" title away from the Yankees, win the World Series. The Steinbrenner family demands that Major League Baseball immediately institute a hard salary cap.
November: After Utah State's football team completes a solid 9-3 season under first-year head coach Matt Wells, several satisfied Aggie fans are seen waving "Gary Who?" signs at Romney Stadium in Logan. ... Weber State manages five wins under no-longer-interim football coach Jody Sears, a vast improvement over the Wildcats' 2-9 record in 2012.
December: Utah and BYU join the Aggies in receiving postseason bowl berths, and Coach Whit is seen almost smiling at his players following their 8-5 season. ... BYU wins its bowl game when a quarterback-turned-safety intercepts the opponent's potential game-winning pass in the end zone. ... And Utah State's football team, after winning the Las Vegas Bowl, rejoices in not having to spend a third straight December at the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl. After all, Boise is great, but Vegas is better — especially in December.
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37