Tom Smart, Deseret News
Sen. Orrin Hatch, in a recent newsletter: "I have been trying to chart a reasonable path ahead to stop these massive tax increases."
I think that's great, but the sorry fact is that Orrin worked so hard to involve us in trillion-dollar wars and give massive sums of tax dollars to banks that were supposedly too big to fail. His own net worth — once estimated higher than $4 million — and annual income upward of $200,000 seem to speak loudest. His multi-billion dollar spy facility in Bluffdale (the Utah Data Center) will be using your taxes to possibly track your personal communications.
Yes, Orrin likes to bring home the bacon, but it seems terribly rancid for a country trying to get back on its feet — let alone become a shining light on the hill.
Salt Lake City
- NYT Opinion: Embracing evangelical...
- Jay Evensen: Why the pioneers give us hope today
- George F. Will: GOP minds are at sea —...
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding Melania...
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the heavy...
- In our opinion: An unsatisfying resolution to...
- Letter: Lead on Social Security
- Letter: Delegates are dividing
- Dan Liljenquist: My theory regarding... 40
- In our opinion: The GOP convention... 31
- Letter: Carbon fee legislation 29
- Letter: Delegates are dividing 23
- Letter: Let feds take over 23
- Michael Gerson: The triumph of cynicism 23
- Letter: Lead on Social Security 20
- My view: Racism, gun violence and the... 18