College football: UCLA falls in Holiday Bowl, Cincinnati wins Belk Bowl in final minute (+video)
CINCINNATI 48, DUKE 34: At Charlotte, N.C., Duke running back Josh Snead fumbled at the Cincinnati 5 with 1:20 left and Brendon Kay threw an 83-yard touchdown pass to Travis Kelce with 44 seconds to go, lifting the Bearcats to an improbable win over the Blue Devils.
Kay threw for 332 yards and his four scoring passes were a Belk Bowl record.
Duke appeared to have the game in hand and was driving for the go-ahead score — and its first bowl victory since 1961 — but the final 80 seconds proved disastrous. With the game tied at 34 and the Blue Devils positioning themselves for a winning field goal, Snead fumbled with 1:20 left and Bearcats defensive lineman John Williams recovered.
Kay then connected with Kelce down the middle for the go-ahead score.
Cincinnati (10-3) sealed it on the next series when Maalik Bomar came crashing into Duke quarterback Sean Renfree, forcing a deflection that Nick Temple returned 55 yards for a touchdown.
Renfree threw for 358 yards — another Belk Bowl record — for the Blue Devils (6-7).
BAYLOR 49, UCLA 26: At San Diego, Glasco Martin ran for three touchdowns, Nick Florence threw for two scores and ran for another, and Baylor overwhelmed UCLA.
Lache Seastrunk rushed 16 times for 138 yards and one score for Baylor, which outgained UCLA 494-362. The Bears came in leading the nation in total offense with 387.7 yards per game.
Florence's 188 yards passing gave him 4,309 for the season, breaking Robert Griffin III's 2011 school season record of 4,293.
Baylor's defense came up big, too. The Bears sacked Brett Hundley six times, including two by Chris McAllister.
Baylor (8-5) won its final four games and five of six. UCLA (9-5) lost its final three.
The Bruins were never in this one. Baylor raced to a 21-0 lead by early in the second quarter.
- Utes leave the Big House with a large win, 26-10
- BYU football: Virginia disappointed but...
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and...
- Dick Harmon: Virginia tries for upset, but...
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia
- Brad Rock: Utah's Travis Wilson needs another...
- Sorensen: Rare for both BYU and Utah to be...
- Utes leave the Big House with a large... 86
- Brad Rock: LaVell, McBride not OK with... 75
- Big plays lift No. 21 BYU past Virginia 51
- Utah football enemy camp: 5 questions... 46
- Go long? So far, deep passes not a big... 40
- 7 reasons why the BYU Cougars will go... 36
- BYU moves up to No. 20/21 in the AP and... 35
- Dick Harmon: Utes, Aggies, Cougars have... 33