College football: UCLA falls in Holiday Bowl, Cincinnati wins Belk Bowl in final minute (+video)
CINCINNATI 48, DUKE 34: At Charlotte, N.C., Duke running back Josh Snead fumbled at the Cincinnati 5 with 1:20 left and Brendon Kay threw an 83-yard touchdown pass to Travis Kelce with 44 seconds to go, lifting the Bearcats to an improbable win over the Blue Devils.
Kay threw for 332 yards and his four scoring passes were a Belk Bowl record.
Duke appeared to have the game in hand and was driving for the go-ahead score — and its first bowl victory since 1961 — but the final 80 seconds proved disastrous. With the game tied at 34 and the Blue Devils positioning themselves for a winning field goal, Snead fumbled with 1:20 left and Bearcats defensive lineman John Williams recovered.
Kay then connected with Kelce down the middle for the go-ahead score.
Cincinnati (10-3) sealed it on the next series when Maalik Bomar came crashing into Duke quarterback Sean Renfree, forcing a deflection that Nick Temple returned 55 yards for a touchdown.
Renfree threw for 358 yards — another Belk Bowl record — for the Blue Devils (6-7).
BAYLOR 49, UCLA 26: At San Diego, Glasco Martin ran for three touchdowns, Nick Florence threw for two scores and ran for another, and Baylor overwhelmed UCLA.
Lache Seastrunk rushed 16 times for 138 yards and one score for Baylor, which outgained UCLA 494-362. The Bears came in leading the nation in total offense with 387.7 yards per game.
Florence's 188 yards passing gave him 4,309 for the season, breaking Robert Griffin III's 2011 school season record of 4,293.
Baylor's defense came up big, too. The Bears sacked Brett Hundley six times, including two by Chris McAllister.
Baylor (8-5) won its final four games and five of six. UCLA (9-5) lost its final three.
The Bruins were never in this one. Baylor raced to a 21-0 lead by early in the second quarter.
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder than...
- Ranking the best college running backs...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 105
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 31
- Brad Rock: Hatfield, Natson incidents... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 27
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 27
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 19
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 17