Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The vigil for Emilie Parker at my own Ben Lomond High School brought the Newtown shooting even closer to home.
Mass shootings are now so prevalent they have almost become a spectator sport. Yet, guns are available now as they have been. My dad has hunting rifles in the garage, and I have just learned to respect them and leave them alone.
Violence is catered to us daily in large quantities on screens. One of the most violent movies of the year, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was released on Christmas Day — a day we should honor as a day of peace and goodwill toward men.
If we fail to do our duties, then we cannot complain about the deviancy that society is providing us.
Salt Lake City
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet
- In our opinion: Par for the president
- Letter: Our great nation?
- Get the names right — or suffer...
- Americans are changing their tune on foreign...
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to inversion is...
- Letter: Attention diverted
- Why religious organizations should be...
- School fees: Is Utah really family... 49
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 44
- Mary Barker: Our economic discourse... 43
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 42
- Constitutional commitments trump tribal... 35
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 35
- Join the discussion: Is Common Core... 32
- Letter: Society puzzles 32