Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The vigil for Emilie Parker at my own Ben Lomond High School brought the Newtown shooting even closer to home.
Mass shootings are now so prevalent they have almost become a spectator sport. Yet, guns are available now as they have been. My dad has hunting rifles in the garage, and I have just learned to respect them and leave them alone.
Violence is catered to us daily in large quantities on screens. One of the most violent movies of the year, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was released on Christmas Day — a day we should honor as a day of peace and goodwill toward men.
If we fail to do our duties, then we cannot complain about the deviancy that society is providing us.
Salt Lake City
- My view: Obama has you cornered with K-12...
- Five principles to help guide public dialogue...
- Letter: Human body
- Steve Eaton: Sundance the Talking Dog is gone
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: A more...
- My view: Use of force debate should recognize...
- In our opinion: School libraries need...
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's proposed...
- Five principles to help guide public... 92
- In our opinion: Sen. Mike Lee's... 61
- Letter: Human body 36
- Robert J. Samuelson: The trouble with... 15
- Drew Clark: We need to consider... 15
- In our opinion: School libraries need... 13
- Letter: Transportation component 11
- My view: Obama has you cornered with... 9