Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The vigil for Emilie Parker at my own Ben Lomond High School brought the Newtown shooting even closer to home.
Mass shootings are now so prevalent they have almost become a spectator sport. Yet, guns are available now as they have been. My dad has hunting rifles in the garage, and I have just learned to respect them and leave them alone.
Violence is catered to us daily in large quantities on screens. One of the most violent movies of the year, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was released on Christmas Day — a day we should honor as a day of peace and goodwill toward men.
If we fail to do our duties, then we cannot complain about the deviancy that society is providing us.
Salt Lake City
- Which states are best for tax payers?
- Jay Evensen: No more rent for inmates —...
- In our opinion: Western land standoff aside,...
- Doug Robinson: Horrific crimes show the thin...
- Letter: Right and wrong
- My view: Utah's agriculture industry needs...
- Letter: Plenty of danger in e-cigarettes
- In our opinion: Utah is not a swing state and...
- Letter: Right and wrong 95
- My view: Anti-science ruins the climate... 68
- Robert Bennett: Immigration reform... 64
- Letter: Science consensus is slow,... 50
- In our opinion: Confronted by power,... 40
- In our opinion: Western land standoff... 36
- John Hoffmire: Why shouldn’t... 29
- Letter: Republican empathy too rare 28