Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The vigil for Emilie Parker at my own Ben Lomond High School brought the Newtown shooting even closer to home.
Mass shootings are now so prevalent they have almost become a spectator sport. Yet, guns are available now as they have been. My dad has hunting rifles in the garage, and I have just learned to respect them and leave them alone.
Violence is catered to us daily in large quantities on screens. One of the most violent movies of the year, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was released on Christmas Day — a day we should honor as a day of peace and goodwill toward men.
If we fail to do our duties, then we cannot complain about the deviancy that society is providing us.
Salt Lake City
- Drew Clark: Religious freedom is more... 60
- In our opinion: A slippery 'immoral' Tweet 47
- Charles Krauthammer: Solution to... 39
- Robert Bennett: Obama has his own... 35
- Letter: Society puzzles 34
- Americans are changing their tune on... 28
- In our opinion: Trouble on tap?... 26
- In our opinion: Par for the president 24