Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The vigil for Emilie Parker at my own Ben Lomond High School brought the Newtown shooting even closer to home.
Mass shootings are now so prevalent they have almost become a spectator sport. Yet, guns are available now as they have been. My dad has hunting rifles in the garage, and I have just learned to respect them and leave them alone.
Violence is catered to us daily in large quantities on screens. One of the most violent movies of the year, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was released on Christmas Day — a day we should honor as a day of peace and goodwill toward men.
If we fail to do our duties, then we cannot complain about the deviancy that society is providing us.
Salt Lake City
- John Florez: Lawmakers broke the state's...
- Mia Love: Big government needs to get out of...
- Letter: Duties of the job
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Lessons...
- In the words of Thomas Jefferson: Why...
- Letter: Future for teachers
- Letter: Political extremes
- In our opinion: Obama's plan for free tuition...
- Dan Liljenquist: In order to confront... 43
- Letter: Medically fragile 40
- Kathleen Parker: Republican candidates... 38
- Letter: Duties of the job 28
- In our opinion: Hughes, House and... 24
- Letter: Harmful side effects 23
- Mark Reynolds: Pipeline alternatives... 23
- John Florez: Lawmakers broke the... 23