Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The vigil for Emilie Parker at my own Ben Lomond High School brought the Newtown shooting even closer to home.
Mass shootings are now so prevalent they have almost become a spectator sport. Yet, guns are available now as they have been. My dad has hunting rifles in the garage, and I have just learned to respect them and leave them alone.
Violence is catered to us daily in large quantities on screens. One of the most violent movies of the year, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was released on Christmas Day — a day we should honor as a day of peace and goodwill toward men.
If we fail to do our duties, then we cannot complain about the deviancy that society is providing us.
Salt Lake City
- A Hobson's choice: Religious freedom in the...
- George F. Will: Squandered potential:...
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance...
- In our opinion: On matters of panhandling or...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Will Putin's gamble...
- Mike Lee: It will be our ideas that win in 2014
- Letter: Putin's invasion
- Doug Robinson: Dinsmore has made his mark on...
- It doesn't have to be hard for... 60
- In our opinion: Obama's immigration... 52
- Obama shows his funny side while... 40
- Letter: Invite the divine 36
- Libertarian wave wins big at CPAC 34
- Jay Evensen: Obama's comedy appearance... 34
- My view: SB54 will politically and... 30
- Letter: Private political parties 24