Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
The vigil for Emilie Parker at my own Ben Lomond High School brought the Newtown shooting even closer to home.
Mass shootings are now so prevalent they have almost become a spectator sport. Yet, guns are available now as they have been. My dad has hunting rifles in the garage, and I have just learned to respect them and leave them alone.
Violence is catered to us daily in large quantities on screens. One of the most violent movies of the year, directed by Quentin Tarantino, was released on Christmas Day — a day we should honor as a day of peace and goodwill toward men.
If we fail to do our duties, then we cannot complain about the deviancy that society is providing us.
Salt Lake City
- About Utah: They got exactly what they wished...
- Letter: Shredded Constitution
- My view: Poor federal stewardship threatens...
- My view: TPA trade agreement counts as...
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school funds...
- Letter: Messy tax code
- Sistas in Zion: Reaction to racial violence...
- Letter: Sovereign flag
- Letter: Shredded Constitution 77
- Letter: Sovereign flag 45
- In our opinion: After court's marriage... 42
- Michael and Jenet Erickson: 7... 38
- In our opinion: In wake of ACA ruling,... 29
- Robert J. Samuelson: Are policies... 25
- George F. Will: Chief Justice John... 22
- Sistas in Zion: Reaction to racial... 18