"People are picking up salt and a lot of shovels today," said Andy Greenwood, an assistant manager at Aubuchon Hardware in Keene, N.H.
As usual, winter-sports enthusiasts welcomed the snow. At Smiling Hill Farm in Maine, Warren Knight was hoping for enough snow to allow the opening of trails.
"We watch the weather more carefully for cross-country skiing than we do for farming. And we're pretty diligent about farming. We're glued to the weather radio," said Knight, who described the weather at the 500-acre farm in Westbrook as being akin to the prizes in "Cracker Jacks — we don't know what we're going to get."
Behind the storm, Mississippi's governor declared states of emergency in eight counties with more than 25 people reported injured and 70 homes left damaged.
Cindy Williams, 56, stood near a home in McNeill, Miss., where its front had collapsed into a pile of wood and brick, a balcony and the porch ripped apart. Large oak trees were uprooted and winds sheared off treetops in a nearby grove. But she focused instead on the fact that all her family members had escaped harm.
"We are so thankful," she said. "God took care of us."
Associated Press writers Rick Callahan and Charles Wilson in Indianapolis, Kelly P. Kissel in Little Rock, Ark.; Jim Van Anglen in Mobile, Ala.; Holbrook Mohr in Jackson, Miss.; Julie Carr Smyth and Mitch Stacy in Columbus, Ohio; Amanda Lee Myers in Cincinnati; David Dishneau in Hagerstown, Md.; Holly Ramer in Concord, N.H.; and David Sharp in Portland, Maine, contributed to this report.
Contact Dan Sewell at http://www.twitter.com/dansewell
- Poll: Two-thirds of US would struggle to...
- Oklahoma lawmakers OK bill criminalizing...
- Roger Federer pulls out of French Open
- Pacquiao's Senate victory brings him closer...
- Veteran '60 Minutes' newsman Morley Safer...
- Mars, Earth, sun line up perfectly in sky...
- Senate vote sets up tricky talks ahead on...
- Bipartisan deal in House to help Puerto Rico...
- Oklahoma lawmakers OK bill... 39
- At NRA, Trump slams Clinton for... 37
- Clinton calls Trump's gun policies... 37
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- Trump to wary Republicans: Trust me.... 32
- Superintendent: No need to obey... 29
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Hillary Clinton: Trump is "not... 18