The most overlooked statistic in economics is poised for an epic comeback: Household formation
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Our take: For the last few years, home and car sales have been at a decrease. The Atlantic's Derek Thompson comments on current graphs on the housing market and how things might be changing in 2013. "With home prices rising, construction hours-worked recovering, and multi-family homes making a sustained comeback, 2013 could be the year our economy breaks out of "new normal" growth and gets back to "normal normal" growth."
The most important graph of 2012? We asked around for some suggestions last week. We got 34 responses. This was mine. It answers the question: What share of each recovery since 1970 came from selling houses and cars?
The message is that home and car sales power recoveries. This recovery is different from all others because we just. Aren't. Selling. Enough. Houses.
That might be changing. With home prices rising, construction hours-worked recovering, and multi-family homes making a sustained comeback, 2013 could be the year our economy breaks out of "new normal" growth and gets back to "normal normal" growth.
Behind my optimism is a trend that doesn't get a lot of play in some corners of the financial press. It's household formation. Household means is a group of people living together. It can be six roommates, a four-person nuclear family plus a grandmother in the guest room, or a a young couple of two. Formation means one more of those categories. More formations is good news. It suggests more people getting jobs, getting apartments, getting married, having kids, and (in all likelihood) spending more money to furnish their new households and express their independence.
Read more about The Most Overlooked Statistic in Economics Is Poised for an Epic on The Atlantic.
- 4 reasons why you shouldn't shop on Black Friday
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why most...
- Immigration reform will boost the economy,...
- Review: 4 shopping apps that will save you money
- Our complete guide to Black Friday, Cyber...
- Facing health law hikes, consumers mull options
- UDOT tow plow drivers train for winter
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals
- Obama immigration plan good, not great... 13
- Working on Thanksgiving Day? Here's why... 12
- White House: Immigration steps would... 7
- Thanksgiving trumps Black Friday for deals 4
- Facing health law hikes, consumers mull... 4
- Immigration reform will boost the... 4
- The best time of year to buy (Hint:... 1
- Photos: Deseret Book winter display... 1