The most overlooked statistic in economics is poised for an epic comeback: Household formation
Ravell Call, Deseret News
Our take: For the last few years, home and car sales have been at a decrease. The Atlantic's Derek Thompson comments on current graphs on the housing market and how things might be changing in 2013. "With home prices rising, construction hours-worked recovering, and multi-family homes making a sustained comeback, 2013 could be the year our economy breaks out of "new normal" growth and gets back to "normal normal" growth."
The most important graph of 2012? We asked around for some suggestions last week. We got 34 responses. This was mine. It answers the question: What share of each recovery since 1970 came from selling houses and cars?
The message is that home and car sales power recoveries. This recovery is different from all others because we just. Aren't. Selling. Enough. Houses.
That might be changing. With home prices rising, construction hours-worked recovering, and multi-family homes making a sustained comeback, 2013 could be the year our economy breaks out of "new normal" growth and gets back to "normal normal" growth.
Behind my optimism is a trend that doesn't get a lot of play in some corners of the financial press. It's household formation. Household means is a group of people living together. It can be six roommates, a four-person nuclear family plus a grandmother in the guest room, or a a young couple of two. Formation means one more of those categories. More formations is good news. It suggests more people getting jobs, getting apartments, getting married, having kids, and (in all likelihood) spending more money to furnish their new households and express their independence.
Read more about The Most Overlooked Statistic in Economics Is Poised for an Epic on The Atlantic.
- 3 tips for traveling cheaply
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on companies
- Survey says parents spend $532.87 a month to...
- Constantly changing online prices stump shoppers
- Record-breaking holiday travel expected
- Gift Guide: Strong photo, video gear options
- Biggest mailing day of the year means protect...
- Chrysler to recall about 288K Ram pickup trucks
- NYC premiere of Rogen film 'The... 8
- Is brand loyalty the new religion? 6
- US consumer prices fall in November 4
- Insurers ease 'Obamacare' deadline 3
- Keystone pipeline to top Senate agenda... 3
- AP sources: NFL employees turn over... 3
- Sony hack adds to security pressure on... 3
- PacifiCorp to close Deer Creek Mine in... 3