Letter: Overlooked details: Mental health issues need to be looked at before gun laws
Seth Wenig, Associated Press
The gun control advocates chose to overlook some details. Adam Lanza did not buy a gun at a gun show through a "loophole." Adam Lanza did not buy a gun from a licensed dealer and slip through the background checks. Adam Lanza murdered his own mother and stole her guns.
We have strict laws against murder and laws against theft. Adam Lanza became a deranged killer before he ever began killing. Then he went to a gun-free zone and picked the easiest victims he could imagine. We need to first react to the mental health issues. Once those are resolved, we can worry about gun laws.
- Jay Evensen: On Second Thought: The 1 percent...
- My view: hippies, 2 Hell's Angels, one...
- Is it time for our first woman president?
- Radon, the unrecognized killer
- H. David Burton: Calling on local leaders to...
- Government works best when it's not on autopilot
- Drew Clark: Why Utah's thriving technology...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Iowa caucus...
- My view: Get insurance out of health care 51
- Is it time for our first woman president? 43
- Dan Liljenquist: What we learned from... 20
- Letter: Hillary and FOIA 18
- Letter: No labels in 2016? 17
- Letter: Leave public land alone 14
- In our opinion: The lesson of... 14
- Arthur Cyr: US presidential politics... 13